Student Experience Menu ▾

Residence Halls and Apartments

The William Woods University residence hall program is firmly committed to the philosophy that there is more to a university education than what takes place inside the classroom. We believe that a student's education and growth consists of all that they experience within the university community

To this end, we feel the residence hall program has an obligation to provide an environment in which the student may flourish to their full potential. Great emphasis is placed on the importance of the individual and their need to be able to identify with the University as well as with other students.

William Woods University students have the opportunity to live and learn in a wide variety of residence halls. Our halls offer comfortable physical facilities and an environment conducive to good study conditions. Each student has the opportunity to grow and find meaning through their friendships, exploration of ideas, their contributions to the hall charters, and involvement in the residence hall community. In essence, residence hall living is a relationship-building experience like no other.

Our mission is to help you become familiar with the residence hall program and to find your just-right fit. We strongly encourage students to explore each residence hall option listed below for a comprehensive view of the residential facilities, and other important information needed to guide you through the process of making the transition to campus living.

Stone-Campbell Memorial Hall Apartments

The Stone-Campbell Memorial Hall Apartment facility is one of the newer additions to the William Woods' residential housing system. The two buildings house a total of 60-90 residents.

Residential Life FAQs


How big are the beds?


The beds are an 80 inches in size (also known as a Twin XL).


Are the halls open during holidays and breaks?


Residents needing housing over university breaks should register for housing accommodations. Housing is not available for all breaks. For safety, it may be necessary to consolidate housing. Halls not used over breaks will be secured with a special locking system and residents of that hall will be unable to enter until the lock is removed after break.


What do I bring with me to campus, and what do I leave behind?



What is a CA?


A CA, Chapter Assistant, is a student staff member housed on each floor of the residence halls. This person works under residential life and is there to assist residents with anything they may need regarding college life. At least one CA will be on duty in each building every night. If you have any questions or concerns about your living arrangement, campus resources, or need someone to talk to, your CA is a good place to start.


What is an AC?


An AC, Area Coordinator, is a graduate student that works under the Director of Residential Life. The AC works with the CA staff and is a liaison between the halls and the Office of Residential Life. If problems occur above CA responsibilities the AC will solve the issue. One AC will be on duty every night.


Can I have candles in my room?


No, candles and incense are prohibited in all residence halls. They will be confiscated and a fine will be handed out.


Can I have alcohol in my room?


Residents who are not 21 years of age may not possess, consume, furnish, manufacture, sell, exchange or otherwise distribute alcohol. Residents under the age of 21 should not participate in events where alcohol is being consumed in a residence hall room. Preponderance of evidence would conclude that the underage individual was consuming alcohol and will be held responsible. For further information please refer to your Student Life handbook.


Are the rooms carpeted?


The only residence hall that has carpet in the rooms is R.B. Cutlip. You may purchase carpet to fit your room, however, rubber-backed carpet, carpet glue, and tape is prohibited.


Are there co-ed residence halls at William Woods?


Yes. R.B. Cutlip, Jones, Lambert, Serena, SAS Complex are co-ed by floor or wing. Opposite gender residents do not share a common bathroom.


What is room consolidation?


In an effort to keep room rates low and to operate an economically efficient organization, William Woods University reserves the right to move/consolidate residents to reduce losses in revenue and to fill vacancies that may occur throughout the year. This policy has been established to deal with the difficult task of room consolidations, and to ensure that such consolidations are performed in a fair and equitable manner.

When one of the occupants of a room or an apartment moves out, the remaining occupant must obtain a roommate from a list of students who do not have roommates, pay the private room rate, or move to another room or apartment. The consolidation process must be accomplished within seven days after the vacancy occurs. If the entire process has not occurred within this seven-day time period, the student(s) shall automatically begin to be charged and be obligated to pay for their room(s) on a prorated basis at the higher single room rate.

Students who willfully refuse to participate in the consolidation process will be charged the private room rate. The University will make a reasonable attempt to accommodate room requests for double occupancy, but reserves the right to assess additional fees for single room occupancy caused by a resident refusing to accept a new room or new roommate.


Can I decorate my room?


Yes. While you cannot paint your room you are encouraged to personalize your space. Please remember to use white poster putty to hang any posters. Decorations are encouraged, as long as they do not create a health or fire hazard. Students may post decorations within their room and/or on their door. Decorations may not be posted on common area walls.


What is my room furnished with?


Each room is equipped with a single bed and mattress, one chest, and one desk and chair per resident. Blinds are provided at all windows.


What if I don't want all the furniture in my room?


All the furniture that is in your room must remain in your room. If you have a single room the extra set can be removed, but due to limited storage on this campus all furniture must remain.


Can I have a guest/visitor?


Guests of the same gender are welcome to visit the residence halls at any time. Overnight guests are to be registered with hall staff and are limited to three days visitation each month. Guests must be eighteen years of age unless they are a registered visitor of Enrollment Services or a direct sibling of the room's occupant. Opposite gender guests (students or non-students) in the residence halls are limited to the campus visitation hours of 9 a.m.- 2 a.m. unless halls have voted to change these hours.


What if I lose my key?


If you lose your key report it immediately to your CA. There is a $10 fee for key replacement. Locks are not routinely changed. Changing locks will be at the resident's expense.


Are there laundry facilities?


Yes, there are washers and dryers in every residence hall on the lowest level.


Where do new students live?


Most new Incoming Students are placed in Smith, Allen, or Swearingen, known as the SAS Complex.

Housing Agreement

The following regulations have been adopted for the residence halls at William Woods University and are part of the agreement between the university and the residents of the halls. Personal integrity and cooperative spirit are appropriate characteristics of university residents. The following regulations, along with the Community Code and information found in the Student Handbook, are in place to facilitate an atmosphere of respect and cooperation.