Discover great works and hone your own craft, gain a strong understanding of all that the English language incorporates, prepared to take on various careers.
Humanities Undergraduate Programs
What does it mean to be human?
Those who study the humanities set out to answer some of life’s biggest questions — yes, the what, who, where and when, but also the why and how. It helps us understand the human experience — through language and rhetoric, philosophy, history and more.
At William Woods University, students may major and minor in various humanities subjects that seek to get us thinking deeply, contextually and logically. Degree coursework includes history, social work, English, Spanish, sociology, philosophy and more — all applicable and useful in so many careers.
- Conduct research alongside our expert faculty members through the Mentor/Mentee program
- Get involved with one of the many student clubs and organizations in your area of interest, such as Students for Social Work
- Explore the unique opportunity to work closely with faculty from a variety of disciplines as they guide you in molding your academic career into all you want it to be
- Attend professional conferences to expand your knowledge
- Learn the skills necessary to explain and interpret events and ideas, develop compelling arguments, evaluate evidence and summarize information succinctly, and find solutions to complex problems
- Join various honors societies, such as Phi Alpha Theta, for history, Phi Alpha Delta, for pre-law, or Phi Alpha, an honors society for Social Work majors
- Attend campus events and symposiums and have the opportunity to interact with historians from William Woods University as well as other institutions
- Demonstrate what you’ve learned through a final capstone project or senior thesis
- Gain individualized attention through our small class sizes from faculty who are experts in their field and whose goal is to see you grow
Our Humanities degree at work
Pursue an exciting career in:
- Counseling or therapy
- Non-profit organizations
- Social work
- Or, prepare for graduate study in law, history, social work, education and more.
Our alumni are currently working for companies and organizations including:
- Department of Labor
- The Rolla Daily News
- The Internal Revenue Service
- Missouri Children’s Division
- Hermann Area District Hospital
- Missouri Girl’s Town
- Fulton State Hospital
- Cole County Juvenile Office
- Division of Youth Services State Office
- New Horizons
- Boone County Group Homes and Family Support
- Missouri School for the Deaf
- St. Mary’s Health Center
- Central Missouri Community Action
- Cooke County Hospital
- Pine Ridge Reservation
- Mexico Veterans’ Home
- Boone County Prosecutor’s Office, Victim Services Unit
- Fulton Public Schools
- Mexico Public Schools
- And more
In pursuing a history degree, I was given the opportunity to explore life and history beyond the four walls of the classroom. I was given the opportunity to establish a broad foundation on which I could build my future. I was given the freedom to explore historical events and topics that mattered to me, and I was challenged to view history from a variety of perspectives.
— Courtney Yantes, BA in History
Throughout my time in law school, I realized how much William Woods had actually helped me in my studies. Many of the students that I knew in law school did not have the opportunities that I had at WWU. The personal attention from a private institution is priceless. When I compare my writing capabilities against others in this top tier law school, I was more than competitive.
— Lisa M. Bass, JD from American University Washington College of Law
Explore the history of the U.S. and the world with a deep understanding of the human condition and prepare for a number of relevant professions.
Prepare for a career as a licensed social worker or counselor, and serve others through principles of compassion and justice.
Customize your education to match your individual career goals, combining skills and tools across various disciplines to build towards the future you want.