Commencement is the culminating event of an academic career, perhaps as significant to family and friends as it is to the graduate. As you begin planning for this very special occasion, this page will provide you with the essential information you need to know for the recognition of your success.
April 2019 Commencement
Associate and Bachelor Degrees
Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 10:00 am
- 8:00 am - Check-in - Dulany Library Auditorium
- 8:30 am - Doors to McNutt Campus Center Open for guests
- 9:30 am - Ivy Chain Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
- 10:00 am - Commencement Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees
Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 2:00 pm
- 12:30 pm - Check-in - Dulany Library Auditorium
- 1:00 pm - Doors to McNutt Campus Center Open for guests
- 2:00 pm - Commencement Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
Commencement ceremonies are held in Cutlip Auditorium located in the McNutt Campus Center and typically last about one hour. Students will assemble in the Library Auditorium and should be there no later than one hour prior to the scheduled commencement ceremony.
Graduates planning to participate in the commencement ceremony must take the following steps (click on each link to complete the step):
Register to Attend Ceremony
- The deadline to register has passed.
- Undergraduates: You must also file an Application to Graduate which is located in Owlnet under the Student’s tab.
Order your Regalia
- The deadline to order regalia has passed.
- Orders after April 1, 2019, at 11:59 pm will be charged a late fee and will be accepted until 11:59 pm on April 7, 2019.
- Orders will not be accepted after April 7, 2019, 11:59 pm.
- Printed Invitations and announcements for mailing to family and friends may be ordered from Herff Jones (see above link). All regalia must be ordered from Herff Jones. You are only required to order regalia. All other purchases from Herff Jones are voluntary.
- When you receive your regalia, check it with the following list to make sure you have the correct colors, etc.:
- Associates: Gray cap and gown with white tassel
- BA: Black cap and gown with white tassel
- BFA: Black cap and gown with dark brown tassel
- BS: Black cap and gown with gold tassel
- BSW: Black cap and gown with light yellow tassel
- MBA: Black cap and gown with drab/green hood and drab brown tassel
- MED: Black cap and gown with blue/green hood and light blue tassel
- MHA: Black cap and gown with Kelly Green/green hood and Kelly Green tassel
- EDS: Black cap and gown with blue/burgundy hood and light blue tassel
- EDD: Black tam/gold tassel, black gown/blue chevrons and front plaque, black hood blue/green bands.
- If you receive incorrect regalia, please call Herff Jones Customer Service at 800.837.4235.
You may invite up to four guests to be seated in Cutlip Auditorium. Seating is first come, first serve. There will be an overflow area that has family friendly seating in Dulany Auditorium. There is no limit on the number of guests for the overflow area. There will be a live video connection to the ceremony in the overflow area. Those attending with younger children will find the family friendly seating much more conducive to meeting the needs of your families. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
There will be designated areas for guests with disabilities and for deaf/hard of hearing guests. Please notify Janice Tate at Janice.Tate@williamwoods.edu or 573.592.1174, if you require special seating arrangements.
Live Video Stream
Live video will be available approximately 15 minutes before each ceremony at this link:
A non-waivable $100 graduation fee must be paid to William Woods Student Financial Services before your diploma will be released. All graduates must pay this fee, even if they are not participating in the graduation ceremony. The fee will be added to your accounts receivable statement approximately one month prior to your conferral date. The graduation fee does not cover the cost of your cap and gown. Order your cap and gown through Herff Jones at the link above.
Diplomas are not issued at the ceremony. If you have successfully completed all coursework and your account is clear, your diploma will be mailed to you six to eight weeks after your conferral date. The name on your diploma will be the exact name William Woods has on record. For name changes or personal information updates please contact the Registrar's Office at 573-592-4249 at least four weeks before your conferral date. Friday, March 29, 2019 is the last day a name change may be made to your diploma without a $50 fee.
Business casual, no flip-flops or tennis shoes. Only dark shoes are appropriate with academic regalia. Please leave all personal belongings with a friend or family member i.e., purses, phones, coats, etc. You will not be allowed to carry anything with you during the procession or as you cross the stage.
A professional photographer will be provided by GradImages. Photographs may be purchased at a cost determined by GradImages. There is no obligation to purchase the photographs, and there is no cost for the service. GradImages offers a $5 discount on any photo order over $25 if you register your email address prior to graduation at https://www.gradimages.com. Click on Pre-Event Registration at top of page. Proofs from the ceremony will be sent to your email address. Contact information for customers is 800.261.2576 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Families & Friends
- Bachelor and Associate degrees: Ivy Ceremony will be held at Cutlip Auditorium at 9:30 am. Please be seated by 9:15 am. Bachelor and Associate commencement starts at 10:00 am, following the Ivy Ceremony. Doors to Cutlip will open at 8:30 am.
- Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees: Commencements starts at 2:00 pm. Doors to Cutlip will open at 1:00 pm.
- Ceremonies typically last one hour.
- Bachelor and Associate students will register in the Dulany Library Auditorium beginning at 8:00 am.
- Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees students will register in the Dulany Library Auditorium beginning at 12:30 pm.
- No tickets will be issued. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. We suggest four guest per graduate. There is an overflow area that has family friendly seating in Dulany Auditorium. There is no limit on the number of guests for the overflow area. There will be a live video connection to the ceremony.
- Ushers will monitor rows to accommodate as many guests as possible.
- Saving seats is discouraged.
- Please do not bring strollers in the auditorium. This creates safety hazards in the event an evacuation is required.
- There will be a coffee station starting at 8:00 am at McNutt Campus Center.
- Food Trucks will be available from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm at Tucker Dining Hall.
- Parking is available at various locations on campus. Golf carts will be available to transport guests from the parking areas to McNutt Campus Center.
- Handicap parking is available on the west side of McNutt Campus Center.
Gifts – Logo Store
The Logo Store will be open from 8:00 am until 2:30 pm. The Logo Store is located in McNutt Campus Center.
Parents and students can also order from the online apparel store.
For information on area accommodations, please contact the Chamber of Commerce of Callaway County at 573.642.3055
For other questions, please contact Janice Tate at janice.tate@WilliamWoods.edu or call 573.592.1174.
Although commencement is not a required activity, William Woods University encourages you to participate. Commencement marks a very important step in life as an occasion of celebration and achievement. You have worked very hard, and this ceremony gives the university the opportunity to congratulate you.