Commencement is the culminating event of an academic career, perhaps as significant to family and friends as it is to the graduate. As you begin planning for this very special occasion, this page will provide you with the essential information you need to know for the recognition of your success.
April 2020 Commencement
Associate and Bachelor Degrees
Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 10:00 am
- 8:00 am - Check-in - Dulany Library Auditorium
- 8:30 am - Doors to McNutt Campus Center Open for guests
- 9:30 am - Ivy Chain Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
- 10:00 am - Commencement Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees
Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 2:00 pm
- 12:30 pm - Check-in - Dulany Library Auditorium
- 1:00 pm - Doors to McNutt Campus Center Open for guests
- 2:00 pm - Commencement Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
Commencement ceremonies are held in Cutlip Auditorium located in the McNutt Campus Center and typically last about one hour. Students will assemble in the Library Auditorium and should be there no later than one hour prior to the scheduled commencement ceremony.
Graduates planning to participate in the commencement ceremony must take the following steps (click on each link to complete the step):
Register to Attend Ceremony
- Undergraduates: You must file an Application to Graduate which is located in Owlnet under the Student’s tab. The deadline for this application is October 18th, 2019.
- All participants: Complete the Commencement Information Form starting November 1, 2019. The link to this form will appear here once it is active. The deadline to register is March 30, 2020
- Undergraduate Students:
- Undergraduate students who will have their degrees conferred in March or April 2020 may participate in the April 2020 commencement ceremony.
- Undergraduate students who will have their degrees conferred in June or August 2020 may participate in the April 2020 commencement ceremony with the approval of the undergraduate academic dean. Students may petition to “walk short” if they are within six hours of their requirements and they register to complete the missing requirements at WWU before the end of their conferral date. (IE: A student who walks short in April 2020 must complete requirements prior to the June/August conferral date, or their conferral date will be pushed back.) They must complete the “Request To Participate In Commencement Short Credit Hours” form that is located in Owlnet. You can access that by using your Quicklaunch login, then Student Forms; or by logging into Owlnet, Student Tab; Student Forms tab. The deadline to Register is March 30, 2020.
- Graduate Students:
- Graduate students who will have their degrees conferred in March, April, June or August 2020 may participate in the April 2020 commencement ceremony. June/August conferral students must notify the Office of Institutional Effectiveness ( Janice.Tate@williamwoods.edu) of their intention to participate in the April 2020 ceremony. The request must be submitted before March 30, 2020, to ensure participation. A student with a June/August conferral date who participates in the April 2020 commencement ceremony must complete requirements prior to the June/August conferral date, or their conferral date will be pushed back.
- October and December Graduate and Undergraduate:
- Graduate and Undergraduate students who will have their degrees conferred in October or December 2019 may participate in the April 2020 commencement ceremony. October and December 2019 conferral students must notify the Office of Institutional Effectiveness ( Janice.Tate@williamwoods.edu) of their intention to participate in the April 2020 ceremony before March 30, 2020.
- Doctoral Students:
- Doctoral students may participate in the commencement ceremony immediately following the date of the successful defense of their dissertation. They must notify the Office of Institutional Effectiveness ( Janice.Tate@williamwoods.edu) of their intention to participate. This request must be submitted before March 30, 2020. The deadline to register is March 30, 2020.
Order your Regalia
- You may order your regalia through Herff Jones starting November 1, 2019. The link to order regalia for the 2020 Commencement ceremony will appear here once the store has become active.
- Orders after March 30, 2020, at 11:59 pm will be charged a late fee and will be accepted until 11:59 pm on April 5, 2020.
- Orders will not be accepted after April 5, 2020, 11:59 pm.
- Printed Invitations and announcements for mailing to family and friends may be ordered from Herff Jones (see above link). All regalia must be ordered from Herff Jones. You are only required to order regalia. All other purchases from Herff Jones are voluntary.
- When you receive your regalia, check it with the following list to make sure you have the correct colors, etc.:
- Associates: Gray cap and gown with white tassel
- BA: Black cap and gown with white tassel
- BFA: Black cap and gown with dark brown tassel
- BS: Black cap and gown with gold tassel
- BSW: Black cap and gown with light yellow tassel
- MBA: Black cap and gown with drab/green hood and drab brown tassel
- MED: Black cap and gown with blue/green hood and light blue tassel
- MHA: Black cap and gown with Kelly Green/green hood and Kelly Green tassel
- EDS: Black cap and gown with blue/burgundy hood and light blue tassel
- EDD: Black tam/gold tassel, black gown/blue chevrons and front plaque, black hood blue/green bands.
- If you receive incorrect regalia, please call Herff Jones Customer Service at 800.837.4235.
You may invite up to four guests to be seated in Cutlip Auditorium. Seating is first come, first serve. There will be an overflow area that has family friendly seating in Dulany Auditorium. There is no limit on the number of guests for the overflow area. There will be a live video connection to the ceremony in the overflow area. Those attending with younger children will find the family friendly seating much more conducive to meeting the needs of your families. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
There will be designated areas for guests with disabilities, mobility issues, and for deaf/hard of hearing guests. Please notify Janice Tate at Janice.Tate@williamwoods.edu or 573.592.1174, if you require special seating arrangements.
Live Video Stream
Live video will be available approximately 15 minutes before each ceremony at this link:
A non-waivable $100 graduation fee must be paid to William Woods Student Financial Services before your diploma will be released. All graduates must pay this fee, even if they are not participating in the graduation ceremony. The fee will be added to your accounts receivable statement approximately one month prior to your conferral date. The graduation fee does not cover the cost of your cap and gown. Order your cap and gown through Herff Jones at the link above.
Diplomas are not issued at the ceremony. If you have successfully completed all coursework and your account is clear, your diploma will be mailed to you six to eight weeks after your conferral date. The name on your diploma will be the exact name William Woods has on record. If you would like to change the way your name appears on your diploma, you may contact Janice Tate at Janice.Tate@williamwoods.edu. Please note this will not be an official change to your permanent record. You can make an official change by completing the Change of Personal Data Form located in Owlnet. This form is located under the Student tab; Registration/Advising tab; Change of Personal Data, or you may contact the Registrar’s Office at 573.592.4249.
Last Day to Change Name: The last day to change your name without a $50.00 fee is 30 days prior to your conferral date.
Business casual, no flip-flops or tennis shoes. Only dark shoes are appropriate with academic regalia. Please leave all personal belongings with a friend or family member i.e., purses, phones, coats, etc. You will not be allowed to carry anything with you during the procession or as you cross the stage.
A professional photographer will be provided by GradImages. Photographs may be purchased at a cost determined by GradImages. There is no obligation to purchase the photographs, and there is no cost for the service. GradImages offers a $5 discount on any photo order over $25 if you register your email address prior to graduation at https://www.gradimages.com. Click on Pre-Event Registration at top of page. Proofs from the ceremony will be sent to your email address. Contact information for customers is 800.261.2576 or email@example.com.
Information for Families & Friends
- Bachelor and Associate degrees: Ivy Ceremony will be held at Cutlip Auditorium at 9:30 am. Please be seated by 9:15 am. Bachelor and Associate commencement starts at 10:00 am, following the Ivy Ceremony. Doors to Cutlip will open at 8:30 am.
- Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees: Commencements starts at 2:00 pm. Doors to Cutlip will open at 1:00 pm.
- Ceremonies typically last one hour.
- Bachelor and Associate students will register in the Dulany Library Auditorium beginning at 8:00 am.
- Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees students will register in the Dulany Library Auditorium beginning at 12:30 pm.
- No tickets will be issued. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. We suggest four guest per graduate. There is an overflow area that has family friendly seating in Dulany Auditorium. There is no limit on the number of guests for the overflow area. There will be a live video connection to the ceremony.
- Ushers will monitor rows to accommodate as many guests as possible.
- Saving seats is discouraged.
- Please do not bring strollers in the auditorium. This creates safety hazards in the event an evacuation is required.
- There will be a coffee station starting at 8:00 am at McNutt Campus Center.
- Food Trucks will be available from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm at Tucker Dining Hall.
- Parking is available at various locations on campus. Golf carts will be available to transport guests from the parking areas to McNutt Campus Center and Dulany Auditorium for overflow seating.
- Handicap parking is available on the west side of McNutt Campus Center.
Gifts – Logo Store
The Logo Store will be open from 8:00 am until 2:30 pm. The Logo Store is located in McNutt Campus Center.
For other questions, please contact Janice Tate at janice.tate@WilliamWoods.edu or call 573.592.1174.
Although commencement is not a required activity, William Woods University encourages you to participate. Commencement marks a very important step in life as an occasion of celebration and achievement. You have worked very hard, and this ceremony gives the university the opportunity to congratulate you.