Commencement is the culminating event of an academic career, perhaps as significant to family and friends as it is to the graduate. As you begin planning for this very special occasion, this page will provide you with the essential information you need to know for the recognition of your success.
April 29, 2023 Commencement
Bachelor and Associate Degrees
Saturday, April 29, 2023 - 10:00 a.m.
- 8:00 am - Check-in - Dulany Library Auditorium
- 8:30 am - Doors to McNutt Campus Center open for guests
- 10:00 am - Commencement Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
Undergraduate Students: Convocation Ceremony, Ivy Ceremony, Senior Soiree. April 28, 2023 starting at 4:00 pm
- Convocation starts at 4:00 pm with the Ivy Ceremony and Senior Soiree immediately following.
- Registration for the Ivy Ceremony in front of the Academic Building main entrance facing Senior Lake.
- Professional photographer will be on site.
- Please be sure to wear your cap and gown.
Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees
Saturday, April 29, 2023 - 2:00 p.m.
- 12:30 pm - Check-in - Dulany Library Auditorium
- 1:00 pm - Doors to McNutt Campus Center open for guests
- 2:00 pm - Commencement Ceremony - Cutlip Auditorium - McNutt Campus Center
- Graduate Students Reception
- There will be a reception immediately following the 2:00 pm Doctorate, Education Specialist and Masters Ceremony.
Commencement ceremonies are held in Cutlip Auditorium located in the McNutt Campus Center and typically last about one hour. Students will assemble in the Library Auditorium and should be there no later than one hour prior to the scheduled commencement ceremony.
Academic Policies to Participate in Commencement
The deadline to Register is March 30, 2023.
Undergraduate October, December 2022; March and April 2023 conferrals: Undergraduate students who will have their degrees conferred in October, December 2022, March or April 2023 may participate in the April 2023 commencement ceremony.
Undergraduate June and August 2023 conferrals: Undergraduate students who will have their degrees conferred in June or August 2023 may participate in the April 2023 commencement ceremony with the approval of Academic Affairs. Students may petition to “walk short” if they are within six hours of their requirements and they register to complete the missing requirements at WWU before the end of their conferral date. (IE: A student who walks short in April 2023 must complete requirements prior to the June/August conferral date, or their conferral date will be pushed back.) They must complete the “Request To Participate In Commencement Short Credit Hours” form that is located in Owlnet. You can access that by using your Quicklaunch login, then Student Forms; or by logging into Owlnet, Student Tab; Student Forms tab.
Graduate Commencement Policy: Graduate students who will have their degrees conferred in October, December 2022, March, April, June, or August 2023 may participate in the April 2023 commencement ceremony. All students who participate in the April 2023 commencement ceremony must complete requirements prior to their conferral date, or their conferral date will be pushed back.
June, August, October and December 2022 Doctoral students who have successfully defended may participate in April 2023.
All other Doctoral Students may participate in the commencement ceremony if they successfully defend by the end of the Spring 2023 semester, April 28, 2023.
- Doctoral Students must purchase regalia from Herff Jones before the March 30, 2023 deadline. Please see below - “Order your Regalia”
- Doctoral students who defend after the deadline for printing Commencement Programs will not have their name in the Program.
Graduates planning to participate in the commencement ceremony must take the following steps (click on each link to complete the step):
Register to Attend Ceremony
- The deadline to register for commencement has passed.
Order your Regalia
- Order your regalia through Herff Jones by March 30, 2023, at 10:59 pm, to avoid a late fee.
- Orders after March 30, 2023, at 10:59 pm will be charged a two-day shipping fee and will be accepted until 10:59 pm on April 7, 2023.
- Orders will not be accepted after April 7, 2023, 10:59 pm.
- Printed Invitations and announcements for mailing to family and friends may be ordered from Herff Jones (see above link). All regalia must be ordered from Herff Jones. You are only required to order regalia. All other purchases from Herff Jones are voluntary.
- When you receive your regalia, check it with the following list to make sure you have the correct colors, etc.
- Associates: Gray cap and gown with white tassel
- BA: Black cap and gown with white tassel
- BFA: Black cap and gown with dark brown tassel
- BS: Black cap and gown with gold tassel
- BSW: Black cap and gown with light yellow tassel
- MA: Black cap and gown with drab/green hood and drab brown tassel
- MBA: Black cap and gown with drab/green hood and drab brown tassel
- MED: Black cap and gown with blue/green hood and light blue tassel
- MHA: Black cap and gown with Kelly Green/green hood and Kelly Green tassel
- EDS: Black cap and gown with blue/burgundy hood and light blue tassel
- EDD: Black tam/gold tassel, black gown/blue chevrons and front plaque, black hood blue/green bands.
If you receive incorrect regalia, please call Herff Jones Customer Service at 800.837.4235.
**Please arrive with regalia on and ready to walk. There are no areas for dressing.
Legacy Stoles (Optional)
Honor your William Woods family tradition with a commemorative graduation stole. The stole is designed so names can be added as future generations of your family graduate from The Woods!
For the 2023 Spring Commencement, deadline to order is March 1, 2023.
The initial cost of a legacy stole is $75, and includes all initial embroidery. Future Legacy names can be embroidered for $20 per name.
- You may invite up to four guests to be seated in Cutlip Auditorium. Ushers will be seating your guests. Seating is first come, first serve.
- Please do not bring strollers in the auditorium. This creates safety hazards in the event an evacuation is required.
- • There will be an overflow area that has family friendly seating in Dulany Auditorium. There is no limit on the number of guests for the overflow area. There will be a live video connection to the ceremony in the overflow area. Those attending with younger children will find the family friendly seating much more conducive to meeting the needs of your families. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
There will be designated areas for guests with disabilities, mobility issues, and for deaf/hard of hearing guests. Please notify Janice Tate at Janice.Tate@williamwoods.edu or 573.592.1174, if you require special seating arrangements.
Live Video Stream
Live video will be available approximately 15 minutes before each ceremony at this link:
- Parking is available at various locations on campus. Golf carts will be available to transport guests from the parking areas to McNutt Campus Center and Dulany Auditorium for the overflow area.
- Handicap parking is available on the west side of McNutt Campus Center.
A non-waivable graduation fee must be paid to William Woods Student Financial Services before your diploma will be released. All graduates must pay this fee, even if they are not participating in the graduation ceremony. The fee will be added to your accounts receivable statement approximately one month prior to your conferral date. The graduation fee does not cover the cost of your cap and gown. Order your cap and gown through Herff Jones at the link above.
Official Diplomas and Frames
Diplomas are not issued at the ceremony. If you have successfully completed all coursework and your account is clear, your diploma will be mailed to you six to eight weeks after your conferral date. The name on your diploma will be the exact name William Woods has on record. For name changes or personal information updates please contact the Registrar's Office at 573.592.4249 at least four weeks before your conferral date. LAST DAY TO CHANGE NAME: The last day to change your name without a $50.00 fee is 30 days prior to your conferral date.
To order a custom diploma frame to showcase one of your biggest accomplishments visit Church Hill Classic Frames.
Church Hill Classic Frames provide archival-quality frames, are guaranteed to protect and preserve your hard-earned achievement for years to come and can be customized to your favorite style. Estimated shipping time is 3-4 weeks.
Business casual, no flip-flops or tennis shoes. Only dark shoes are appropriate with academic regalia. Please leave all personal belongings with a friend or family member i.e., purses, phones, coats, etc. You will not be allowed to carry anything with you during the procession or as you cross the stage.
A professional photographer will be provided by GradImages. Photographs may be purchased at a cost determined by GradImages. There is no obligation to purchase the photographs, and there is no cost for the service. Proofs from the ceremony will be sent to your email address. Contact information for customer service is 800.261.2576 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: https://www.gradimages.com.
Information for Families and Friends
- Bachelor and Associate degrees: Commencement starts at 10:00 am. Doors to Cutlip Auditorium open at 8:30 am.
- Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees: Commencements starts at 2:00 pm. Doors to Cutlip Auditorium will open at 1:00 pm.
- Ceremonies typically last one hour.
- Bachelor and Associate students will register in the Dulany Library Auditorium beginning at 8:00 am.
- Doctorate, Master and Education Specialist Degrees students will register in the Dulany Library Auditorium beginning at 12:30 pm.
Gifts from the Logo Store
The Logo Store will be open from 8:30 am until 4:00 pm. The Logo Store is located in McNutt Campus Center.
Order online from the Apparel Store
For information on area accommodations, please contact the Chamber of Commerce of Callaway County at 573.642.3055.
For other questions, please contact Janice Tate at janice.tate@WilliamWoods.edu or call 573.592.1174.
Although commencement is not a required activity, William Woods University encourages you to participate. Commencement marks a very important step in life as an occasion of celebration and achievement. You have worked very hard, and this ceremony gives the university the opportunity to congratulate you.