Admissions Menu ▾

Frequently Asked Questions

What is your student/teacher ratio?

Approximately 13:1, but you probably want to know how big classes will be. Typically you have some larger lecture classes (e.g. Critical Thinking) in which there may be 35-40 students.

How do I apply?

Complete an online application. Send an official high school transcript, and SAT or ACT scores. Transfer students should send college transcripts from each institution attended, as well as official high school transcripts. Letters of recommendation and interviews are not required.

Is there an application deadline?

No. Although we have a preferred deadline of December 1, WWU offers a "rolling admissions" policy. This means students can apply and be accepted at anytime although we prefer that students have all necessary paperwork in at least one week prior to the start of classes.

Are Academic Scholarships available?

Yes. There are numerous scholarships available including automatic awards and competitive awards. If a student is applying for a particular award the deadline is March 1. The student must be accepted to the university in order to be considered for a competitive scholarship. Check out the Scholarship Opportunities page for more information.

What kind of health care is available?

WWU does have a Health Services Office.

What organizational activities does WWU have?

There are 40+ different organizations including student government, academic honoraries, leadership honoraries, community service groups, cultural organizations, religious organizations, Fraternity and Sorority life, political action groups, environmental groups, special interest clubs, activity groups, and intramural sports.

Can I get an athletic scholarship?

Athletic scholarships are controlled by the respective coach. You, or someone who knows your ability, should contact the appropriate coach to express your interest. You may also submit the Prospective Athlete Form.

Are you required to live on campus?

Yes. Unless you are at least 23 years old, are married or have dependents, or are going to commute from a parent's home(which must be within a 60-mile radius), you are required to live on campus. See the student handbook for more information.

Can I bring a car?

There is no restriction on students bringing cars, however the student must pay for a parking decal that must be displayed on the vehicle at all times. Students may purchase the decal at the Cashier's Window in the W.S. Woods Academic Building.

Is it safe?

William Woods is committed to protecting each student on campus. The campus safety statistics are available online, and students are more than welcome to contact Campus Safety with any questions or concerns. Using common sense and normal precautions should assure your safety.

When should I apply?

For freshmen, the preferred application window is sometime between September and December of your senior year. William Woods has a rolling admissions policy, which means that students may be accepted after the preferred deadline of December 1.

How long does it take to find out an admissions decision?

Usually a decision will be made three to four business days after all required documents have been submitted.

What are your requirements for freshman applicants?

Generally speaking, freshman applicants with a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, at least a 19 on the ACT or 980 on the SAT will be accepted to the University. See the Admission Requirements page for more information.

What are your requirements for transfer applicants?

Transfer students are required to have at least 12 college credit hours from an accredited college or university and have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. See the Admission Requirements page for more information.

How much will it cost?

Check out the tuition page for information on tuition, room, board, and other fees. There are additional lab fees associated with the equestrian riding classes. There are also additional expenses associated with residence in Cutlip Hall, Sorority Circle, or the Stone Campbell Apartments. Be sure to consider participating in the LEAD program when evaluating costs.

Are students required to purchase a meal plan?

Yes. Students living on campus must purchase a meal plan. Commuter students are also allowed to purchase a meal plan if they wish to do so.

What types of financial aid are available?

The traditional types of scholarships are listed on the Scholarship Opportunities page. Financial aid, includes Federal and Missouri grants, loans, and work-study. These are only offered to students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How do I apply for financial aid?

The form required is a national form, offered by the Federal Government, it is called the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please contact Student Financial Services for more information.

When do I apply for financial aid?

The earliest possible application date is January 1, and you should do so as soon as possible thereafter, as some aid is awarded on a first-come, first-awarded basis.

What is your FAFSA/Title IV code?

The FAFSA/Title IV code for WWU is 002525.

Does WWU have national sororities or fraternities on campus?

Yes. WWU offers a vibrant Fraternity and Sorority community. All students are encouraged to go through recruitment. It costs the same to live in an independent residence hall as it does to live in a sorority or fraternity house. The only additional costs may be monthly dues and initiation fees. There are four sororities and three fraternities. Sororities: Alpha Chi Omega , Delta Gamma, Alpha Phi and Chi Omega; Fraternities: Phi Gamma Delta, Pi Kappa Alpha, and Sigma Tau Gamma.

Can I get a private residence hall room?

It is very unlikely that private rooms will be available. The last few years, WWU has had a record number of incoming students, so space is very limited. If there is a chance that a private room is available, there is an additional charge of $400 per semester. Remember that one part of the college experience is learning to co-exist with others. The Office of Student Life's New Student Questionnaire can be completed online to better match you with a roommate. Be sure to refer to the Frequently Asked Questions page for Student Life and the Frequently Asked Questions page for parents.

Are there opportunities to participate in Study Abroad?

Yes. Students have the option of working with several different companies in order to participate in Study Abroad programs. In the past, WWU has had students in Italy, Australia, Ireland, England and many other countries. We also have the Woods Around the World Program which offers a weeklong trip as part of a class over spring break.

Is there a job placement service or career service?

Yes. There is a Career Services Office on the William Woods University campus. If you need more information, please contact Amy Dittmer at (573) 592-4313.

Notice of Availability of Annual Security Report

William Woods University's Annual Security Report is available online. This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by William Woods University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus.

The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Office of Admissions at 573.592.4221 or 1.800.995.3159, ext 4221.

Discrimination statement

William Woods University welcomes qualified students of any race, gender, national or ethnic origin, and those who are physically or mentally handicapped under the definition of section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.