- Programs and Degrees
- Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in English Education
Bachelor of Science (BS) in English Education
Give them the pen and paper to write their own story.
Do you remember that moment when a story first came alive to you? When the words on a page were more than just text — when the characters jumped off of the page and came to life, or when you were transported into the story yourself, and you joined them on their great adventure? Be that potential first-introduction to a new world of imagination, the first step in a love for reading, a witness to the discovery of a gift for writing. Be an English teacher.
William Woods University Bachelor of Science in English Education degree will prepare you to teach kids not only the art of expression and the various forms, but the skill and technique in grammar, research, and writing that lies behind it. The curriculum is broken into English and literature content knowledge and pedagogical skills, taught by faculty and mentors who have acquired years of experience and are ready to share what they’ve learned with you.
In conjunction with this degree you will take coursework to earn your Secondary Education Certification which is required to teach English courses at the middle school and high school levels.
- Gain hands on experience through participating in service learning activities such as tutoring, practical learning labs as well as two semester-long clinical experiences in local public schools and 14 weeks of student teaching
- Join the international honor society in education, Kappa Delta Pi, where teachers and future teachers come together or join Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honors society
- Work side-by-side with your professors and mentors who share your love for blending writing and literature with education, and who are ready to offer their personalized attention to your development as an educator
- Craft your skill for developing creative content and engage in a community of writers through campus organizations like Writer’s Ink, Green Owl Productions and The Hoot Campus Magazine
- Complete internships, capstone projects, grant writing exercises and research alongside expert faculty, gaining a well-rounded knowledge in the field of English
- Prepare for graduate study in education, curriculum and instruction, administration and more
The English education program will thoroughly prepare you to teach English or language arts courses to grades 9-12, including subjects such as creative writing, American literature, world literature and more.
Our graduates have gone on to teach in Fulton Public Schools, Mexico Public Schools and other districts across Missouri
The Bachelor of Science in English Education degree at William Woods University consists of 122 distinct credit hours for graduation — including 33 core major credits, 6 credits of required electives, as well as the additional 46 credit hours needed for Secondary Education Certification. A foreign language is not required.
Courses you may take
English Composition I -C
English Composition II -C
Young Adult Literature
Grammar and Syntax
History of the English Language
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.