Bachelor's Degrees in Biology (BS or BA)
Explore the wonders of the living world from Anatomy to Zoology.
Studying the science of life itself means exploring a world of possibility. Whether you want to go into any of the health professions, research, industry, business, agencies, teaching, or virtually any career that requires you to solve problems, a bachelor’s degree in biology is a great place to start.
Studying biology at William Woods University means sequencing DNA in our Genetics Lab. It means working directly with a faculty member on real, applicable and life-changing research. In addition to immersive knowledge in biological sciences, students acquire hands-on, practical experience in laboratory and field settings.
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Options in Biology
Our Bachelor of Science in Biology is intended for students with health profession goals. We offer pre-veterinary, pre-medicine and pre-nursing concentrations for students interested in pursuing advanced professional degrees, including veterinary, human medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, physical therapy and other allied health fields. William Woods University has experienced a 100 percent acceptance rate for students who have applied for advanced professional degrees in veterinary medicine, medical school, pharmacy and physical therapy doctoral programs.
Our Bachelor of Arts in Biology is for students interested in other areas of Biology that might lead to a career in research or an applied field; the B.A. degree is flexible and can be tailored to your specific interests.
- Take our Tropical Biology field course in Central America
- Participate in the Genomics Education Partnership; a classroom based research experience
- Work collaboratively with our staff Veterinarian at the Center for Equine Medicine — explore diagnostics, treatment, therapies and learn from real case-studies happening right on campus
- Take advantage of access to cutting-edge immersive research experiences in and out of class
- Present at conferences and publish work with faculty
- For example, one student recently worked collaboratively in plant genotyping for a National Science Foundation-funded research; funding (through extramural grant) to send a student to international immunology conference
- Learn from enthusiastic faculty, who have a diverse range of biological interests, yet the same passion to teach and to help their students learn both inside and outside of the classroom
- Get involved in a number of biology organizations such as Beta Beta Beta, the biology honors society, Biology Club, Pre-Medicine Club or Pre-Veterinary Club
The world awaits.
Our alumni have found careers in:
- Veterinary medicine
- Physical Therapy
- Medical Equipment sales
- Scientific research
- ABC Laboratories
- Cerner Corporation
- St. Louis University faculty
- Various group practices and hospitals
- Various school districts
- Regulatory agencies
Dr. Spratt and the biology department prepared me to handle every challenge I encountered in my post-graduate studies. I had a strong advantage over other students.
— Alan Arthur, a William Woods University graduate, who enrolled in an accelerated dual-degree pharmacy program at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, leading to both Pharm.D. and master of business administration degrees
William Woods University played an integral role in not only my acceptance into veterinary school, but also in shaping me into a capable, confident veterinarian. The biology program at WWU features some of the best professors I have ever had the opportunity to work with. They are genuinely interested in each student's individual success.
— Christy McPherson DeMarco, D.V.M., William Woods University alumna who studied at the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Missouri, now a veterinarian in Liberty, Mo.
Courses you may take
Bachelor of Arts Curriculum:
The Bachelor of Arts in Biology degree at William Woods University consists of 122 distinct credit hours for graduation—including 28 core major credits and 22 required elective credits.
Bachelor of Science Curriculum:
The Bachelor of Science in Biology degree at William Woods University consists of 122 distinct credit hours for graduation—including 36 core major credits, 4 required field course credits, 16-29 concentration credits, and 11 upper level electives.
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.