We're sorry, but this position is no longer available.
Job Title: ASL Lab Mentor
Department: School of Humanities
Reports To: Professor, ASL Interpreting
Job Type: This is a part time, non exempt position.
William Woods University is now accepting applications for ASL Lab Mentors for the 2017-2018 school year. The primary function of the lab mentor is to mentor and assist American Sign Language (ASL) students in language learning, conversational skills, and language skill mastery. This is a part-time position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Tutor ASL students one-on-one or in small groups, in an immersion setting, on assignments and skills designated by the student’s instructors or on skills and tasks identified by the student(s) as problematic.
- Design activities and materials, including ASL videos, as needed or with assistance from ASL instructors and/or Interpreting instructors.
- Ability to mentor ASL students regarding the cultural and social conventions of the contemporary Deaf community.
- Provide on-line and videophone assistance to ASL & Interpreting students.
- Support the technological needs of students using lab equipment.
- Develop and/or implement videotaping/digital taping of materials for ASL classes.
- Maintain the ASL lab and materials.
- Maintain student documentations, as required.
- Attend training, as required
- Maintain appropriate laboratory supplies.
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Provide instruction to students on proper laboratory procedures and methods based video connection by appointment as requested.
- Provide functional guidance and support to students using the ASL & Interpreting Lab and Bottega.
- Support staff and faculty members as assigned.
- Maintain timely contact with designated lab liaison regarding scheduling.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED is required. Also required is American Sign Language fluency as determined by William Woods University American Sign Language and Interpreting Faculty during Interview.
- WWU prefers applicants with two years experience that includes working with students or mentees in a supportive educational setting that includes activity design, direct instruction, skill analysis and feedback, and matching activities to student skill level and/or teacher recommendation.
- Applicants must be twenty-one years of age or older.
- Applicants must pass the Missouri State Background Check.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic computer applications.
- Interpersonal skills and good communication with students, staff, and faculty.
- Ability to work well with people and complete projects.
- Ability to work flexible hours when the lab is open as well as occasional evenings and weekends for special events and/or projects.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Willingness to learn Mac computer applications.
William Woods University is an independent institution chartered by the State of Missouri with main campus facilities in Fulton, MO. It has been operating continuously since 1870, taking its current form as a coeducational university with undergraduate and graduate programs in 1993.
Today, William Woods draws approximately 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students from 35 states and approximately 11 foreign countries. William Woods has been ranked as a Top 100 Midwest University by U.S. News and World Report, and has been recognized for the quality and affordability of its online degree programs.
With a full liberal arts curriculum, William Woods also offers a strong professional tradition, with nationally ranked programs in Equestrian Studies and American Sign Language. Its graduate education program figures strongly in the administration and leadership of Missouri's state school system.
William Woods University is governed by a self-perpetuating board of trustees, and remains committed to serving the public good by helping students link intellectual development with the responsibilities of citizenship and professional life.
William Woods University is an Equal Opportunity Employer