We're sorry, but this position is no longer available.
Job Title: Academic Advisor for Online Students
Department: Academic Affairs
Reports To: Director of Academic Advising
Job Type: This is a full time, exempt position.
The Academic Advisor for Online Students will implement advisement and retention programs, initiatives and strategies for the assigned online programs. Advise undergraduate students on the development of individual learning outcomes based on their skills, goals, responsibilities and experiences.
This positon is located on our main campus in Fulton, Missouri. The successful candidate will need to reside in a reasonable driving distance from Fulton.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Advise online students, both by telephone and by email, in all matters involving their classes and programs, including course requirements, and policies and procedures regarding, registration, persistence, and graduation.
- Monitor individual student progress and perform proactive advising outreach to students.
- Analyze and resolve student issues associated with program requirements, course scheduling and degree matriculation.
- Work effectively with other online staff and related offices, such as the Registrar, Financial Aid and Enrollment Management.
- Prepare summary analyses, evaluative reports, participate in retention and support services for online academic programs.
- Maintain and update student advisee files.
- Train and supervise faculty advisors for online students.
- Maintain a working knowledge of General Education and transfer requirements.
- Prepare degree audits and degree completion plans and train faculty advisors on their usage.
- Provide retention actions for at-risk online students.
- Act as liaison between student and campus, providing guidance regarding campus resources and contacts as appropriate.
- Coordinate with program managers regarding course offerings, rotations, and program changes.
- Stay current on program and catalog changes.
- Pursue exit interviews with students who withdraw from the university in order to improve current retention plans and develop new plans to address emerging issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience in online learning strongly preferred.
- Successful work experience in a university setting.
- Working knowledge of WWU mission, catalog, policies and procedures.
- Related experience in student services.
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic advising.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with diverse constituents and to provide high quality support and customer service to online students.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work effectively with online students, staff, faculty, and administration.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to adjust quickly and adapt to changes.
- Capacity to quickly learn policies procedures, and curriculum requirements.
- Ability to abide by the ethical standards and guidelines for academic advising.
- Sensitivity to the needs of students from diverse backgrounds.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Ability to climb several flights of stairs several times each day.
- Ability to crouch, kneel, bend or stand for long periods.
- Ability to speak and read English fluently.
- Ability to hear.
- Ability to use a computer keyboard.
- Effective mobility skills required to move about freely and quickly in office and on campus.
This is an exempt position requiring 40+ hours per week, 12-month position with evening or weekend.
William Woods University is an independent institution chartered by the State of Missouri with main campus facilities in Fulton, MO. It has been operating continuously since 1870, taking its current form as a coeducational university with undergraduate and graduate programs in 1993.
Today, William Woods draws approximately 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students from 35 states and approximately 11 foreign countries. William Woods has been ranked as a Top 100 Midwest University by U.S. News and World Report, and has been recognized for the quality and affordability of its online degree programs.
With a full liberal arts curriculum, William Woods also offers a strong professional tradition, with nationally ranked programs in Equestrian Studies and American Sign Language. Its graduate education program figures strongly in the administration and leadership of Missouri's state school system.
William Woods University is governed by a self-perpetuating board of trustees, and remains committed to serving the public good by helping students link intellectual development with the responsibilities of citizenship and professional life.
William Woods University is an Equal Opportunity Employer