Current Students Menu ▾

Maintaining F-1 Status

In order for you to "stay legal" in the United States and not be required to go home, you must maintain your F-1 status. The international student advisor can assist you in information about how to do that. However it is your responsibility to make sure that you comply with the regulations in order to stay "in status". Following the guidelines listed below will keep you "in status".

  • Maintaining a full course of study (12 hours for Undergraduate / 9 hours for Graduate). For cohort students, this means enrollment for the entire cohort. You may remain in the U.S. and be considered to be maintaining lawful F-1 status during holidays and vacation periods, provided you are eligible and intend to register for the next school term (or the term immediately following the summer/post-term session.)
  • Reporting to the DSO upon arrival
  • Making normal process means finishing your program according to the completion date on your I-20 and maintaining minimum course grades and GPA per program policies.
  • Keeping your I-20 valid by following correct procedures for extension of stay, transferring schools, changing levels or program of study.
  • Keeping a valid passport at all times.
  • Reporting a change of address to the INS within 10 days of the change. Use form AR-11 which is available from the Registrar's Office.
  • Leaving the U.S. within 60 days after program completion unless prior arrangements are made for applying for OPT, another educational program, or transferring schools.
  • NOT WORKING (either on or off campus) without authorization via an employment authorization document (EAD card).