Coaching Minor - 18 Hours
The Coaching minor would give all education majors, and even non-majors who may want to coach for local Parks & Recreation Departments or YMCAs, the knowledge base to take on coaching duties at the secondary school level.
- Students will develop the skills needed in basic first aid and CPR/AED to properly provide emergency care to athletes of all ages.
- Students will obtain the knowledge and skills needed to help prevent, manage and provide basic treatment for sports injuries.
- Students will increase their ability to properly manage an athletic program including leadership, budget and facility management.
- Students will acquire the skills necessary to apply psychological concepts to sports participation.
- Students will develop an understanding of how an athlete’s psyche changes during sports participation and the ability to manage different personalities and psychological issues.
- Students will enhance their understanding of the various offensive and defensive strategies of football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, track & field and cross country.
- Students will learn how to evaluate players and design practices and drill to instruct proper technique.
- Students will expand their understanding of the various philosophies and approaches to the arrangement of practice sessions and off-season programs.
- Students will gain an appreciation for the various game strategies, how to scout opponents and develop game strategies.
- Students will increase their understanding of the rules and officiating of football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, track & field and cross country at both the interscholastic and intercollegiate levels.
Course # Course Title Hours ATR230 Prevention and Care of Injuries 2 ATR231 Prevention and Care Lab 1 PED104 First Aid and CPR 2 PED401 Theory of Coaching Baseball and Softball 2 PED402 Theory of Coaching Track & Field and Cross Country 2 PED403 Theory of Coaching Football and Soccer 2 PED404 Theory of Coaching Basketball and Volleyball 2 PED406 Management of Athletics 2 PSY401 Sports Psychology 3