Admissions Menu

Academic Policy Details


Grievance Policy

Students have the right to request a review of academic and non-academic policies, programs, or incidents that are of a grievous nature and do not pertain to any other specific university policy. Such issues involving sexual harassment and grades, which are dealt with through separate policies.

A grievance report (see criteria below) should be submitted to the Undergraduate Academic Dean if it is within one week of the reported incident. An initial effort will be made, within one week, to resolve the issue through dialogue and mutual consent. If this process does not provide for satisfactory resolution, a grievance committee will be formed and the matter will be forwarded to it.

Within one week of receipt, the grievance committee will review the issues outlined and will determine whether there is sufficient cause to warrant a committee hearing.

Should the determination be made that a hearing is warranted, the hearing will be held within two weeks from the committee's receipt of the documentation.

The grievance committee will be appointed as needed, and will be composed of representatives from various University divisions, departments, and constituencies, including, but not limited to advising programs administrators and program faculty. If appropriate, the University Judicial Council or the conflict resolution procedures may be used.

Grievance criteria:

  • Must be in written form
  • Must be dated and signed
  • Must contain specific details as to what the complaint is about and what results are requested


To be considered a "complaint" for the File of Grievance for the Higher Learning Commission, the grievance must be in writing, must be dated, and have been signed or have the person's name on the grievance. It must state a specific complaint or complaints. Along with the written complaint should be documentation of a response (within 24 hours) from the department of office to the person who complained, plus any follow up correspondence.

Complaints may also be filed with the following (certain limitations may apply):

The Missouri Department of higher Education serves as a clearinghouse for postsecondary student complaints. The MDHE complaint policy may be found at This webpage contains information about the complaint process and includes instructions for how to file a formal complaint. Note that the policy provides that a student who wishes to file a complaint with the department must first exhaust all formal and informal avenues provided by the institution to resolve disputes.

William Woods University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission For information regarding an accreditation complaint please consult the Higher Learning Commission website at Their contact information is as follows The Higher Learning Commission, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413, Phone: 800.621.7440 / 312.263.0456. Fax:312.263.7462 .

Updated 7/01/2013

Academic Catalog 15-16