Admissions Menu

Academic Policy Details


Grade Appeal/Grade Changes

Grade Appeal:

Students who believe a grade has been assigned in error or who wish to have a grade reviewed must first submit their concerns in writing to the instructor within two weeks after the receipt of grade . The instructor shall then have 15 days in which to reply in writing. [If no response, the student goes to the next step.] If a mathematical recording or other technical error is discovered, the instructor may recommend an appropriate grade change to the Registrar. This should be completed within 30 days after the end of the semester.

If the grade is still in dispute, the second step is for the student to discuss the grade with the appropriate division chair [or directly go step 3 if the chair is the instructor]. If, after meeting with the division chair, the student still disputes his/her grade, step three is for a written appeal to be submitted to the Academic Dean. The appeal must allege

  1. that a computational, recording, or other technical error has been made but not acknowledged by the instructor; or
  2. that the grade has been assigned in an arbitrary, capricious, or vindictive manner, or in a manner intended to inappropriately manipulate or control the student.

No other grounds for appeal exist. The appeal should include copies of all correspondence between the student and the instructor regarding the grade plus any other supporting documents. A copy of the appeal will be submitted to the instructor. If the Academic Dean determines that sufficient evidence exists for a review, a subcommittee of the Academic Council will undertake a review within 20 days. The findings of the Academic Council subcommittee are shaped as recommendations to the instructor and are shared with the Dean. The Academic Dean has the final decision on a grade appeal.

Grade Changes:

Once grades have been submitted to the University Registrar, they may be changed for one of three reasons:

1. to change an incomplete to a letter grade,

2. to correct a mathematical or clerical error, or

3. to accommodate a change resulting from an appeal.

Revised 5/10/2012

Academic Catalog 15-16