Admissions Menu

Academic Policy Details


Transfer Credit

Undergraduate Programs

William Woods students who wish to take a course at another college or university must obtain approval from the registrar to assure that the course is eligible for transfer and fits within their academic program.

The delivery system or format is not considered by the University in the evaluation of coursework from other institutions for possible transfer credit.

Credits are accepted at full semester value provided that the transferring institution is accredited by an agency recognized by the USDE (U.S. Department of Education) and CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation). Courses that are comparable to William Woods University offerings are accepted in transfer. Courses accepted in transfer must have a final grade earned of "D" or above.

The maximum credit hours accepted by the university by transfer, examination, and/or portfolio may not exceed 90 credits, no more than 70 of which may be taken at a junior/community college.  

Courses completed at a junior/community college are unlikely to transfer as upper level (300/400) coursework.

To earn a degree from William Woods University, a student must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours at William Woods University. Transfer credit is not accepted as part of a student's last 30 hours.

Students transferring credits are not required to repeat courses unless specifically stated in WWU course prerequisites or major requirements. (ie, repeat of a course in which a D was earned in an education program requirement).

An official transcript must be sent to the registrar's office at William Woods University before any transfer course can be accepted into the student's program of study. Official transcripts certifying coursework must be received in the registrar's office prior to the student's final semester (15 credits). The Registrar is the official person to grant transfer credit; any questions should be addressed to the Registrar.

You may check our Transfer Equivalency page to see how your credits might transfer. (Please contact us if you cannot find the school/course for which you are seeking an equivalency.)

Graduate Transfer Credit

Ordinarily no more than nine hours completed elsewhere will be accepted as applicable to graduate degrees granted by the University. Additionally, only graduate work with grades of A or B may be accepted as applicable toward University graduate degrees.

Only graduate work completed at another institution before initial admission to graduate study may be considered for transfer, except in instances in which admitted current graduate students secure prior approval from their program director before taking a graduate course at another institution. Credits received for the completion of graduate work not previously approved by the program director will not be considered for acceptance.

Only graduate work completed at graduate level institutions accredited by an agency recognized by the USDE (U.S. Department of Education)and CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation), may be accepted as applicable to University graduate programs.

The program director, with the assistance of the university registrar or assistant registrar, determines the acceptability of credit granted by other graduate level institutions.

Ordinarily graduate work completed at other institutions must have been completed within three calendar years of anticipated initial enrollment to be considered for applicability to University graduate degrees.

 Transfer credit is not granted for the capstone course in any graduate degree program.


William Woods University is a participant of the Missouri Reverse Transfer


If you transferred from or will transfer from a 2-year Missouri institution, please read more about the Missouri Reverse Transfer program. 


Academic Catalog

This is the UNOFFICIAL Academic Catalog. This site is dynamic, subject to change and therefore may not always represent the offerings and curriculum of the latest or current academic year.

To view the official catalog for a specific academic year, please see the Official Catalogs link.

For questions regarding the curriculum for a specific academic year please contact your Academic Advisor.