Admissions Menu

Academic Policy Details



Withdrawal from a course or a graduate program is a formal process initiated by the student and received and documented by the University. As a formal academic transaction, withdrawals are formally noted on the graduate transcript.

Students may drop an eight week course through the end of the fifth week of the course with a W grade. Students who are enrolled in a course on or after the first scheduled day will be charged full tuition for courses dropped after the first week (5th business day).

Courses cannot be dropped for the following circumstances:

  1. For a course which has been completed but for which a final grade has yet to be issued;
  2. For a course for which an Incomplete has been recorded, except in extraordinary circumstances; or
  3. For a program when an academic action that may result in Academic Suspension is pending.

All Notifications of Withdrawal must be submitted in writing to the Academic Advisor (e-mails are accepted). Notifications will neither be accepted nor approved by the academic advisor under the three circumstances specified previously. Withdrawals are executed through the submission of a Notification of Withdrawal to the Registrar by the academic advisor.

Withdrawal from a course does not constitute withdrawal from a program or disassociation from the Graduate College. A student who has withdrawn from a course may continue study during the next scheduled course without penalty. If a student withdraws from a course and does not intend or expect to continue study, a program withdrawal should be initiated.

Withdrawal from a program constitutes disassociation from the Graduate College and the University. Students who have withdrawn from a program must apply for readmission to resume study. If program or degree requirements have changed since the student’s initial enrollment, the student will be required to satisfy the new requirements upon re-admission.

Departure Without Withdrawal

Final grades are issued in each course for each enrolled student who has not withdrawn from the course. Students who terminate attendance without formally withdrawing from a course are assigned a grade of F. The consequence of a failing grade issued as a consequence of Departure Without Withdrawal is Academic Dismissal. Students who depart from a program without formally withdrawing effectively terminate their affiliation with the University. Such students may sub sequently reapply for admission to graduate study. The nature of their departure may be considered as a factor in the readmission decision. If program or degree requirements have been changed since the student's initial enrollment, the student will be requ ired to satisfy all new requirements upon readmission.

Graduate Catalog 17-18