Admissions Menu

Academic Policy Details


Grade Appeal/Grade Changes

Grade Appeal:

Students who wish to appeal a grade must submit a grade appeal to the instructor within two weeks after the receipt of a grade. If a mathematical, recording, or other technical error is discovered by the instructor, the instructor may recommend the appropriate grade change to the dean of the program and must accompany the recommendation with evidence which substantiates that such error had occurred. No other basis for change initiated by the instructor is acceptable. If substantive issues remain unsolved after the written correspondence with the instructor, the student should submit a copy of all written correspondence with the instructor to the dean of the program, along with a request for a grade change. If after meeting with the dean, the student still disputes his/her grade, step three is for a written appeal to the Vice President and Dean of Graduate College with copies of all written correspondence with the instructor and Dean/Program Director. The appeal must allege one of the following:

  1. A computational, recording, or other technical error has been made but has not been acknowledged by the instructor; or,
  2. The grade has been assigned in an arbitrary, capricious, or vindictive manner, or in a manner intended to inappropriately manipulate or control the student.

The Graduate Academic Dean will appoint a review committee to determine a final conclusion for the appeal.

Grade Changes:

Once grades have been submitted to the University Registrar, they may be changed for only one of three reasons:

  1. To change an Incomplete to a letter grade
  2. To correct a mathematical or clerical error, or
  3. To accommodate a change resulting from an appeal



Graduate Catalog 17-18