Amy Shelton McNutt Scholarship
Full Tuition, Room and Board Scholarship - Application deadline January 15
Each year William Woods University presents one incoming student with the Amy Shelton McNutt scholarship which recognizes both academic achievement and character. Amy Shelton McNutt was a William Woods alumna remembered for her dedication to hard work, education, and philanthropy.
We look forward to receiving your application for this prestigious award for 2022.
The Amy Shelton McNutt Scholarship includes full Tuition, room, and board for up to four years (as long as renewal eligibility requirements continue to be met).
Requirements and Application Process
Students will need to meet the following eligibility requirements and supply the following information to apply for the Amy Shelton McNutt Scholarship.
Please use this scholarship application to provide any necessary documents.
- Application to William Woods
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.75
- High school transcript
- Resume (summary of academic and extracurricular achievements)
- Video with Video Link (5-minute maximum, introduction to who you are and why you should be selected for this scholarship)
- Writing Sample (500-1000 words; students may select one topic below as their writing prompt)
Possible Writing Topics
- Think of your least favorite school topic. Why do you think it’s important for that subject to be taught, regardless of whether students like it? What value does that subject have to students who invest themselves in it?
- Discuss the themes of a fairy tale of your choice. Analyze the story, its characters, and where relevant, its cultural connections. How does this tale benefit children and/or people as a whole?
- The US education system is often ridiculed when compared to other countries. What arguments can be made for and against the overall effectiveness of US schools? What personal conclusions have you made about the US education system? What solutions, if any, would you prescribe?
- Are government funds spent on the study of space and space exploration a good use of taxpayer’s dollars? Explain.
- What are you passionate about? Why?
- If you could, would you change anything about your academic experience thus far?
- It’s easy to identify with the hero-the literary or historical figure who saves the day. Have you ever identified with a figure who wasn’t a hero-a villain or a scapegoat, a bench-warmer or a bit player? If so, tell us why this figure appealed to you-and if your opinion changed over time, tell us about that, too. *Reference: UNC-Chapel Hill
- Write the article that will be about you in our Woods Magazine when you graduate in 4-years.
- Give a personal introduction and demonstrate your academic identity. What strengths do you bring to William Woods University, and how do you plan to achieve your academic and personal goals?
After initial review of your application, you may be asked to participate in an interview with William Woods University School Directors (pending initial review of application materials).
McNutt scholarship recipients are expected to successfully complete the LEAD program each year to maintain their scholarship. In addition, recipients must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 for renewal each year.