Admissions Menu ▾

Parents FAQ's

What are the biggest adjustments during the first year?

Learning to discipline oneself and manage time are critical adjustments that must be made. College classes may meet only every other day, or once a week, but the workload does not diminish. “Free” time may create a false sense of security, but after midterm exams it may become clear that more time should have been spent studying. It is suggested that the student spend two hours of studying for every one hour in class. However, study time does need to be balanced with study breaks. Another adjustment students may have to make is to seek help if academic difficulty is encountered. Your job is to reassure your student that success in college is an attainable goal for those who apply themselves.

What services are available for career planning?

The William Woods University  Office of Career Services invites students to discuss career options, self-assessment, values, skills, interests, goals and job-seeking strategies with a career counselor. The Office of Career Services can assist students in developing resumes and cover letters, practicing interview skills and much more!

How can parents assist their student in the career development process?

Encourage your son or daughter to visit the  Office of Career Services as early as freshman year to learn about the many services and programs we offer. We want to empower students with the skills, experience, and knowledge needed to make informed decisions about their career planning every step of the way. This is best accomplished with an early start!

Does WWU offer a program for studying abroad?

William Woods University students have taken advantage of a variety of study abroad opportunities. Other students have elected to gain a study abroad experience through the Woods Around the World program, which engages in a group travel opportunity over Spring Break. Still others have selected a host of other study abroad opportunities by partnering with other institutions. The study abroad program allows students to immerse themselves in the culture and life of the host country and become conversant in the language; to mature socially, spiritually, and intellectually; and to develop sensitivity to cultural differences and a sense of responsibility for and mission to other peoples of the world. For more information about study abroad, please visit the  Study Abroad page or stop by the  Office of Career Services.

What is there to do off campus?

There’s a variety of things to do in Fulton and the surrounding area. Check out all  Mid-Missouri has to offer.

What is the mailing address for students?

All incoming mail and packages are received by the WWU Post Office and must be addressed as follows:

Your Name

William Woods University

Box #

Fulton, MO 65251

How can parents obtain more information?

All parents of new students are encouraged to attend orientation activities listed in the orientation schedule. For parents of fall athletes, an abbreviated orientation will be provided upon your arrival.

My daughter earned exceptional grades in high school. Why is she struggling now in college?

College is very different from high school! Even students who have done exceptionally well in high school will find college work challenging. Students spend less time in class than they did in high school and more time in preparation. College professors demand much more than high school teachers, and the course material is covered at a faster pace. Good note-taking, reading and study habits are the essential skills that make adjusting to classes easier.

Where can students go for assistance with their classes?

William Woods offers peer tutors in several subjects. There are also departmental tutors in some academic areas such as Management Information Systems. Additionally, students should meet with their professors to discuss areas in which they could improve. For more information on tutoring students should contact Steven McAfee, Academic Learning Specialist via email at or by phone at 573.592.4540 or 1.800.995.3159 x4540.

My son or daughter is not doing well in a class and doesn't know what to do.

The student should arrange for a meeting in the professor's office. This meeting should be arranged by the student either via email or by speaking with the professor before or after class time. It is not recommended that the student email any question other than the request to meet. At this time, the student can review what is giving them difficulty. They should discuss note taking and test preparation methods. Inquire about tutoring possibilities. This discussion should help the student determine if it is possible to succeed in the class or if they should consider dropping the class. If they plan to stay in the class, they should be sure to attend all of the class sessions. If they decide to drop the class, be aware of the published deadline for receiving a grade of "W". To drop a class, a student  must complete the proper paperwork in the  registrar’s office. It is important to be aware of the last date to drop a class and still receive a "W". See the Academic Calendar for drop date information.

My son or daughter is not comfortable calling his or her professors. May I call for them?

Most professors do not appreciate phone calls from parents. While your call may be well intended, it is not generally acceptable. Further more, due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, which prohibits the university from releasing any information (including grades) about a student without the student's written permission, the professor could not speak with you about your son or daughter’s performance in the class.

My son or daughter has their schedule for the current semester. How do they know what to take for the next semester and how do they go about registering for classes?

At William Woods all students are assigned to an academic advisor. Students meet with their advisor during orientation so they may put a name with a face and contact information. Students are also required to meet with their advisor each semester prior to registration for classes. The student and their advisor will determine which classes the student needs to take the next semester. After a student has met with their advisor, they are then responsible for logging on to Owlnet and registering for the classes. Students are not allowed to register for classes without meeting with their academic advisor.

Why do parents not receive a copy of mid-term and final grades?

Students obtain their grades electronically via Owlnet. Students who need hard copy grade reports, for tuition remission or other reasons, must make a request to the  registrar’s office at the end of each grading period. Grades may not be given over the phone.

In maintaining student records, the College complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, which prohibits the College from releasing any information (including grades) about a student without the student's written permission. An authorization form is available in the Registrar’s Office, for your student to sign to grant you access to their grades. The law provides, however, that the College may disclose certain information without requiring the student’s consent. Please see  Educational Rights & Privacy for more information about FERPA.

What does William Woods University offer for students with disabilities?

William Woods University’s Office of Disability Services offers students with documented disabilities access to obtaining accommodations to support their college experience.

Is the meal plan required if my son or daughter lives on campus

Yes, all residential students must be on the meal plan and there are no exceptions. Residential students are automatically placed on the 19-meal-per-week plan.  There is also a 14-meal-per-week plan available. Any change to a student’s meal plan must be made in the Office of Student Life during the first week of classes of each semester. William Woods University contracts with an outside company to provide food service. Residential students must provide a valid student identification card for admittance to meals.

What does my student need to do to continue to be eligible for the LEAD award?

All LEAD students must meet the requirements of the LEAD program during the current semester in order to be eligible for the LEAD award for the following semester. The  LEAD policies and procedures are provided to the students during orientation, and they are in the William Woods University  Student Handbook.

What can my student do if they are confused about anything regarding LEAD?

Students are encouraged to stop by the Office of Student Life, call 573.592.4239, or email with any questions or concerns that they may have about LEAD at any time.

What should she/he bring for the residence hall room?

When planning what to bring from home, please refer to the Residence Halls and Apartments section of the New Student Information page. Here you will find a link for what to bring and what to leave. This provides an extensive list for incoming students. It also lists items that are prohibited inside the residence halls, such as candles, lamps with halogen bulbs, pets (other than a fish), etc.

How long are the beds in the residence halls?

The beds in the halls are 80 inches.

Can students stay in the residence halls over breaks?

Residents needing housing over University breaks should register for housing accommodations. Housing is not available for all breaks. For safety, it may be necessary to consolidate housing. Halls not used over breaks will be secured with a special locking system and residents of that hall will be unable to enter until the lock is removed after break.

What if my son or daughter experiences roommate problems?

The enjoyment of life in the residence hall will depend on the responsibility roommates take and the thoughtful consideration demonstrated for each other. At the beginning of the school year, roommates will fill out a Roommate Agreement with the Community Advisor on their floor. During this time all roommate will talk about preferences they have and rules that they want to agree upon. If a conflict arises the first contact a student will make is with the roommate. Talk out the problems that have come up and if the issues cannot be resolved the next step is going to talk to a Community Advisor in the Hall. The Community Advisor keeps a copy of the Roommate Agreement and will be able to refer to it when speaking with the roommates.

How can my son or daughter get involved in campus activities?

William Woods has 40+  student organizations and a vibrant  Fraternity and Sorority Life community. Students can get involved in clubs and organizations within their major, like the Hands Up Club for American Sign Language Interpreting majors or the Dressage Club for equestrians. Or, students can join a fraternity or sorority. Joining a fraternity or sorority can lead to a lot of leadership activities and other activities on campus as well. All students are encouraged to participate in Greek recruitment.

What about computers and Internet connections on campus?

Wireless networking is available across most of campus. All residence hall rooms use the wired network, which provides better speed and more reliable access.

WWU’s campus network will work with almost any computer, desktop or laptop purchased in the last few years. Specific recommendations can be found here

Students also have access to computers at several locations on campus. Several classrooms have computers available and general use labs are available in the library and McNutt Campus Center.

How do students find out about jobs on campus?

Students seeking work on or off campus can check out  student employment for current job openings. Students must obtain a Student Employment Authorization Form from the student employment office before starting on-campus employment. Student employment is part of the Federal Work Study program and the financial aid process. Students must complete the FAFSA and indicate they are interested in Federal Work Study in order to be eligible.