- Programs and Degrees
- Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Political/Legal Studies
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Political/Legal Studies
Celebrate our history. Influence our future.
In the heart of every Political/Legal Studies degree major at William Woods University is a special kind of passion — one for seeking justice and the truth, for pursuing equality, becoming an advocate, making a difference. This major will prepare you for work in any field that is impacted by law or politics, which includes all private sector, non-profit, NGO and government employers. It will prepare you for graduate study in political science, public administration, leadership, legal studies and related programs. In addition, our graduates have a 100 percent law school acceptance rate.
The Bachelors in Political/Legal Studies degree program combines coursework in political science, concepts and theory with legal studies — an interdisciplinary approach to the meanings and values of legality. It focuses on the liberal arts of law and political thought and includes practical skills such as legal research and writing; oral and written advocacy; and the opportunity for internships and field experience. You will develop skills to conduct negotiations and mediations, construct and defend reasoned arguments, engage in effective advocacy, analyze political and legal issues, polish your writing skills and confidently navigate the American legal and political systems.
There are many ways to learn the legal world, get involved and gain experience.
- Participate in competitive mock trial through the William Woods University American Mock Trial Team. We also have our own Model Court Room
- Join our prelaw chapter of Phi Alpha Delta, International, the largest legal fraternity in the world
- Obtain a specialized certificate in prelaw or political studies
- Engage in internships for academic credit in the legal or political fields in a variety of settings such as government agencies, law firms, or the legislative, executive and judicial branches of state or federal government
- Attend conferences related to your interests
- Conduct scholarly research in law or political science
- Take part in political and advocacy activities through public service and other events
Our Political/Legal Studies degree at work
Our alumni have found successful careers in leading agencies, companies and firms:
- Noble Biocare International
- Bell & Watson, PLLC, Memphis, TN
- Cox Health Systems
- Missouri Secretary of State
- High Caliber Stables, North Carolina
- North Star Resource Group
- Columbia Police Department
- United States Marine Corp
- General Motors
- Province of Ontario
- Pate's Law Group, Orlando FL
- William Woods University
- Boomerang Strategies, McKinney, TX
- State of Missouri
- Spectrum Brands, Inc.
- McAdams, LTD
- DeVry Education Group, Government Relations Department
- Midwest Litigation Services
- Chelsea Meadows Equestrian Center
- Veteran's United Home Loans
- Missouri Division of Youth Services
- New Bloomfield Schools
- United States Senate, Office of the Press Secretary for the Environment and Public Works Committee
- Legislative Lobbyist firm for the KC Chiefs and others
- Central Trust & Investment Company
- Boone County Circuit Clerk
- Florida GAL Foundation
- Dinsmoer & Shohl, Commercial Litigation, Kentucky
- Prosecuting Attorney office, Lincoln County and others
- Kathy J. Weinman Children's Advocacy Center, St. Louis, MO
Some graduate and law schools attended by political/legal studies and criminal justice grads:
- University of Missouri Law School
- University of Missouri Master's and Doctorate program in Political Science
- University of Missouri Master's in Education
- Oklahoma City Law School
- St. Louis University Law School
- American University Law School, Washington, DC
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Law School
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Master's program in Political Science
- Barry University Law School - Florida
- William Mitchell College of Law
- Master's of Liberal Arts in Journalism, Harvard
- University of Denver Law School
I am always proud of this program when I learn students have been accepted to law or graduate school; have been selected for awards through their professional work after leaving WWU; or send me an email telling me how much our program has helped them in their personal and professional lives.
— Cynthia Kramer, Professor of Legal Studies
I have attended three higher education institutions and I can honestly say that I think a young person looking to go to college would be hard pressed to find a better school academically than William Woods. WWU has the small community feeling, where members of the administration and faculty care about your overall success.
— Adam Patchett, political/legal studies graduate and Oklahoma City University School of Law graduate, now an attorney at Powell, Bush & Patchett, L.L.C. in Columbia, Mo.
The Bachelor of Arts in Political/Legal Studies degree at William Woods University consists of 122 distinct credit hours for graduation—including 18 core major credits, 18 required elective credits, a minor, and a year of a foreign language.
Courses you may take
Politics and Government -S
American Legal System -S
Law, Ethics and Morality -E
Critical Thinking About Politics -T
American Political Theory
International Law and Politics
Conflict & Dispute Resolution
Writing and Research in Public Policy
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.