- Programs and Degrees
- Exercise and Sports Science
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Exercise Science
- Physical Education Concentration
Physical Education Concentration
Build foundations for fit and healthy lives.
Studies now show the importance of physical activity in a child or adolescent’s day is even more significant than we ever thought. Teachers in physical education are coming into the profession at a time when the nation continues to struggle with high obesity rates and less activity among children at an even younger age.
It’s in physical education class that a child can build a foundation for a healthy, active lifestyle. Physical activity improves a student’s concentration, memory and classroom behavior. It’s the physical education teacher who not only can instill in a child a love for physical activity and various athletics, but a greater purpose — an understanding of its value to a healthy life.
As a student in the exercise science concentration in physical education, you will learn the differences between health-related and skill-related fitness. You will learn how to create movement-based learning opportunities for students in the areas of motor development, individual and large group activities that are designed to promote a lifelong priority of staying active. You will learn also how to modify lessons to meet the needs of all and how to assess your lessons in order to foster student learning.
- Work with the local preschool and home school associations in teaching physical education skills
- Get involved with the Missouri Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (MOAHPERD) and take advantage of a number of professional development, networking and educational opportunities
- Attend the MOAHPERD state conference, where William Woods has had two physical education students recognized as Major of the Year in Physical Education
- Join the Physical Owl Club, which is composed of majors that seek local opportunities to better physical and health education knowledge
- Join the international honor society in education, Kappa Delta Pi, where teachers and future teachers come together
- Combine physical education with giving back through service opportunities such as volunteering with the YMCA as well as for the Special Olympics, hosted in Columbia, Missouri
- Continue your education with a Master’s in Education in Athletics Administration to become an athletic director or in Administration to pursue principal certification, both programs offered by William Woods University
Our Physical Education degree at work
The physical education degree will thoroughly prepare you to be a physical education teacher in the state of Missouri. Our graduates can be found teaching around the state of Missouri and across the country.
The faculty and staff in the physical education department made my time at William Woods an enjoyable experience. I was nervous about student teaching in my own physical education classroom, but my professors prepared me. WWU has prepared me for the educational world and I can now go into an interview confident in my abilities as an educator.
— TJ Quick, physical education graduate
The Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science degree with a concentration in Physical Education at William Woods University consists of 92 distinct credit hours for graduation — including 36 core exercise science major credits and 56 hours needed for Education Certification.
Courses you may take
Prevention and Care of Injuries
Prevention and Care Lab
First Aid and CPR
Individual and Dual Sports
Flexibility and Stretching
Introduction to Anatomy/Physiology
History and Philosophy
Methods of Physical Education Pre K – 4
Physiology of Exercise
Adapted Physical Education
Measurement and Evaluation
Methods of P.E. (6-12)
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.