- Programs and Degrees
- Exercise and Sports Science
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Exercise Science
Bachelor of Science (BS) in Exercise Science
Help others to live healthier, more satisfying lives.
Exercise science is the study of movement and functional responses or adaptations associated with exercise. It answers questions like: How do we go longer, grow stronger, move faster, and get better? How does the body respond to change? What are the components necessary to achieve optimum fitness?
The innovative Exercise Science degree at William Woods University includes coursework in exercise physiology, kinesiology, fitness testing and prescription, and program design. Students also learn skills such as entrepreneurship, sports psychology, sports law and nutrition — supplementary skills that will not only make you stand out above other applicants, but will also enhance your career no matter how you decide to change the game for yourself and others.
Five concentrations support a range of career goals
Choose from one of four concentrations to prepare you for a career in the health and fitness industry; research or graduate school in various health science fields; as a coach, director, or activities coordinator; or on the business, marketing, and operations side of the billion-dollar sports, fitness, and health industry. With a solid exercise science foundation, the career options are limitless.
- Strength and Conditioning
This health- and performance-oriented degree opens many doors in the growing fitness and wellness industry.
- Pre-Athletic Training
Many students pursue a Pre-AT concentration as a first step to a Master of Athletic Training degree. It is the right foundation for a field with faster than average growth.
- Pre-Physical Therapy
This concentration provides immersive, hands-on preparation for those interested in applying to Doctor of Physical Therapy programs.
- Take advantage of the $1.3 million Center for Human Performance, which includes state-of-the-art equipment in exercise testing and rehabilitation
- Train and work in our on-campus fitness facility, the Weider Fitness Center
- Complete an internship in which you will apply what you have learned in the classroom to real-life experience under the direct supervision of professionals in the fitness industry
- Participate in many on-campus fitness opportunities and promotions or work with our NAIA Athletics teams
- Enjoy small class sizes and the opportunity to work one-on-one with faculty who are dedicated to helping you map out your career goals and make them happen
- Join various service-learning projects throughout the year, including the opportunity to mentor incoming William Woods University students in fitness and nutrition
- Create an online portfolio which showcases your certifications, coursework and professional goals
The professors in my department were helpful in providing the resources and hands-on experience I needed to succeed. Without their assistance in the exercise science program, I would not have had the quantity and quality of job offers I was fortunate to have upon graduation. They truly cared about not only my education and experiences at William Woods, but what was best for me personally.
— Abbey Stock, Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
The Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science degree at William Woods University consists of 122 distinct credit hours for graduation — including 36 core major credits.
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.