- Programs and Degrees
- Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Social Science Education
Bachelor of Science (BS) in Social Science Education
Equip the minds that will shape our tomorrow.
As a teacher, you will be in the business of shaping young minds and supplying future generations with the knowledge needed to excel in their future. As a social science education major, you will be tasked with preparing your future students to become well-informed citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society and citizen of an interconnected world — equipping them with the tools to make reasoned decisions for the public good.
The William Woods University Bachelor of Science in Social Science Education degree program allows you to examine human society and social relationships through a political, economic, cultural, psychological and historical lens — then, focus on the nuances of how to teach that material effectively to your future classroom on the secondary education level. Curriculum is broken into social science content knowledge and pedagogical skills, taught by professors who have acquired years of experience and are ready to share their knowledge.
In conjunction with this degree you will take coursework to earn your Secondary Education Certification, which is required to teach social studies courses at the middle school and high school levels.
- Learn the skills necessary to explain and interpret social and political events throughout history, examine cultural practices and trends in human behavior and gain a better understanding on the world and society we live in
- Gain hands on experience through participating in service learning activities such as tutoring, practical learning labs as well as two semester-long clinical experiences in Missouri public schools and 14 weeks of student teaching
- Join the international honor society in education, Kappa Delta Pi, where teachers and future teachers come together
- Expand your knowledge of psychology and history content and engage with others who share your interest through joining Phi Alpha Theta, the long-standing international honor society for history, William Woods Psychology Club, or the international honor society for psychology, Psi Chi
- Attend campus events and symposiums and interact with other education majors and social science lovers from William Woods University and other institutions
- Prepare for graduate study in education, curriculum and instruction, administration and more
Our Social Science Education degree at work
The social science education degree program will thoroughly prepare you to teach social studies courses to grades 9-12, including subjects such as world history, American history, geography, political science, psychology and/or sociology.
Our students are highly sought after by distinguished employers across the country, including:
Other employers of our recent alumni include:
- Fulton Public Schools
- Mexico Public Schools
- and other districts across Missouri
The Bachelor of Science in Social Science Education degree at William Woods University consists of 122 distinct credit hours for graduation — including 53 required professional education course credits, 39 credits of required content knowledge courses, as well as the additional 47 credit hours needed for Secondary Education Certification.
Courses you may take
Learn more about undergraduate admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.