Online Master of Health Administration (MHA)
Practical training for a growing field
Prepare for a leadership role in the growing healthcare field through real-world experiences and practical coursework.
There are over 784,626 healthcare companies in the United States — providing equipment, insurance, services, and more. Additionally, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects employment of healthcare occupations to grow 19 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. This is projected to add about 2.3 million new jobs. And this includes leadership. Every doctor’s office, hospital, call center, laboratory, research institute, outpatient and residential care facility needs managers and administrators.
Medical and Health Services Managers:
“Given all healthcare reforms, financial volatility, consumerism, and operational complexity, etc., what is clear is that the role of healthcare leaders is under evolution,” said Dr. Mountasser Kadrie, Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) program director at William Woods. “The role is both more valued and tougher than ever, and the MHA degree at William Woods will prepare you for the three most important strategic tiers that healthcare leaders are focusing on these days.”
Those tiers include: optimizing the health system’s fiscal health; its ecosystem of providers, system of care and physician loyalty, and the patient experience.
The William Woods University Master of Health Administration is an innovative, cutting edge program that was just recently revised to meet top academic and professional standards. Courses are designed to meet the curriculum standards set by the National Center on Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) Competency Model 3.0, the American College Healthcare Executives (ACHE) Competency Assessment Tool, and the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) Body of Knowledge Competency Model. The MHA program will enable you to learn about various healthcare topics and issues, but will also offer you the required critical learning and professional preparation to set you for the highly sought after healthcare management certification and fellowship credentials such as:
- American College of Healthcare Executives -ACHE - www.ache.org
- The Healthcare Financial Management Association - HFMA - www.HFMA.org
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society - HIMSS - www.himss.org
- Medical Group Management Association - MGMA - www.mgma.com
- National Association for Healthcare Quality - NAHQ - www.nahq.org
Delivered online to fit your schedule, location and convenience, a William Woods MHA degree will prepare you for this growing need with the leadership and administration skills, as well as hands-on training, to manage a variety of areas in the healthcare industry.
All courses include a weekly forum discussion relevant to the week’s topics. This allows you to communicate and collaborate with other students, and learn from your peers’ personal and professional experiences.
In this program, you will learn to:
- Plan, direct and coordinate medical and healthcare services, manage a facility, clinical area or department, and more
- Analyze ethical and legal issues in health administration policies and develop recommendations for improvement
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of current healthcare technology
- Evaluate a healthcare facilities’ culture and underlying structure to develop effective management and leadership strategies
- Create sound healthcare marketing strategies based on analysis of the various types of healthcare consumers
- Analyze the effects of decisions made by health administrators on the financial position of the facility
Your online Master of Health Administration degree at work:
Many professionals with an MHA work in hospitals, residential facilities, universities, medical equipment manufacturing, health systems and insurance companies.
Job responsibilities and titles include:
- Health information manager
- Clinical manager
- Health communication
- Medical center director
- Budget director
- Human Resources manager
- Hospital Administrator
- Physician Group Administrator
- Insurance company or HMO administrator
- Administrator for Medical Equipment Manufacturer
- And more...
The Master of Health Administration is a total of 36 credits, which will cover ethics, technology, human resources management, case studies, finance, law and other areas with a focus on the healthcare industry. You will earn the degree by completing 12 courses, which includes core health administration courses, graduate business course electives and a capstone course.
Courses you may take
- HLT 505 Healthcare Administration
- HLT 519 Legal Aspects of Healthcare
- HLT 527 Human Resources Management in Healthcare
- HLT 540 Ethics in Healthcare
- BUS 542 Finance
- HLT 555 Healthcare Systems Financial Management
- BUS 560 Statistics and Research Methods
- HLT 583 Organizational and Change Management in Healthcare Administration
- HLT 592 Policy Issues in Healthcare Administration
- HLT 598 Integrated Studies in Health Administration
- BUS 5XX Graduate Business Elective
- BUS 5XX Graduate Business Elective
- Completed application.
- Official transcripts (2.5 GPA or higher) mailed from the college/university of which you graduated.
- Prior work experience in healthcare is not required but one or more years of relevant work experience in healthcare or an undergraduate degree in a health related field is preferred.
Your digital classroom. Available anywhere.
William Woods online graduate programs are available to students across the country. In Missouri, our students come from Fulton, Columbia, Jefferson City, St. Louis, Kansas City, Moberly, Springfield, Ozark, Cape Girardeau, Rolla and many more locations. Beyond Missouri, our online graduates hail from California, Illinois, Kansas, Washington, Arkansas and other states.
Learn more about online admissions requirements, deadlines, tuition and financial aid available to you.