Residential Life FAQ's

Can I have alcohol in my room?

Provided that both residents of the room are 21, residents who are of legal drinking age may consume alcohol responsibly in the privacy of their room with the door closed.

How big are the beds?

The beds are an 80 inch size bed.

Are the halls open during holidays and breaks?

Residents needing housing over University breaks should register for housing accommodations. Housing is not available for all breaks. For safety, it may be necessary to consolidate housing. Halls not used over breaks will be secured with a special locking system and residents of that hall will be unable to enter until the lock is removed after break.

What do I bring with me to campus?

What to Bring/What to Leave Behind (PDF)

What do I not bring to campus?

Candles, incense, space heaters, room air-conditioners, halogen lights, heat generating appliances (coffee makers, crock pots, toasters, toaster ovens), firearms, microwaves, and pets (other than fish).

What is a CA? An AC?

A CA, Community Advisor, is a student housed on each floor of the residence halls. This staff person works under residential life and can help residents with endless facets of college life. At least one CA in each building will be on duty every night. If you have any questions or concerns about your living arrangement, campus resources, or need someone to talk to, your CA is a good place to start.

An AC, Area Coordinator, is a graduate student that works under the Director of Residential Life. The AC works with the CA staff and is a liaison between the halls and the Office of Residential Life. If problems occur above CA responsibilities the AC will solve the issue. One AC will be on duty every night.

Can I have candles in my room?

No, candles or incense are prohibited in all residence halls. They will be confiscated and a fine will be handed out.

Are the rooms carpeted?

The following residence halls have carpeting in the rooms: The only residence hall that has carpet in the rooms is R.B. Cutlip. You may purchase carpet to fit your room, however, rubber-backed carpet, carpet glue, and tape is prohibited.

Are there co-ed residence halls?

There are co-ed residence halls on the WWU campus. Bartley, R.B. Cutlip, Jones, Serena, SAS Complex (all our independent halls) are co-ed by floor or wing. Opposite gender residents do not share a common bathroom.

What is room consolidation?

In an effort to keep room rates low and to operate an economically efficient organization, William Woods University reserves the right to move/consolidate residents to reduce losses in revenue and to fill vacancies that may occur throughout the year. This policy has been established to deal with the difficult task of room consolidations, and to ensure that such consolidations are performed in a fair and equitable manner.

When one of the occupants of a room or an apartment moves out, the remaining occupant must obtain a roommate from a list of students who do not have roommates, pay the private room rate, or move to another room or apartment. The consolidation process must be completely accomplished within seven days after the vacancy occurs. If the entire process has not occurred within this seven-day time period, the student(s) shall automatically begin to be charged and be obligated to pay for their room(s) on a prorated basis at the higher single room rate.

Students who willfully refuse to participate in the consolidation process will be charged the private room rate. The University will make a reasonable attempt to accommodate room requests for double occupancy, but reserves the right to assess additional fees for single room occupancy caused by a resident refusing to accept a new room or new roommate.

Can I decorate my room?

Yes. While you cannot paint your room you are encouraged to personalize your space. Please remember to use white poster putty to hang any posters. Decorations are encouraged, as long as they do not create a health or fire hazard. Students may post decorations within their room and/or on their door. Decorations may not be posted on common area walls.

What is my room furnished with?

Each room is equipped with a single bed and mattress, one chest, and one desk and chair per resident. Blinds are provided at all windows.

What if I don’t want all the furniture in my room?

All the furniture that is in your room must remain in your room. If you have a single room the extra set can be removed, but due to limited storage on this campus all furniture must remain.

Can I have a guest/visitor?

Guests of the same gender are welcome to visit the residence halls at any time. Overnight guests are to be registered with hall staff and are limited to three days visitation each month. Guests must be eighteen years of age unless they are a registered visitor of Enrollment Services or a direct sibling of the room’s occupant. Opposite gender guests (students or non-students) in the residence halls are limited to the campus visitation hours of 9 a.m.- 2 a.m. unless halls have voted to change these hours.

What if I lose my key?

If you lose your key report it immediately to your CA. There is a $10 fee for key replacement. Locks are not routinely changed. Changing locks will be at the resident’s expense.

Are there laundry facilities?

Yes, there are washers and dryers in every residence hall on the lowest level.

Where do new students live?

New students are placed in temporary housing when they arrive to campus. Nearly all new students are placed in the Complex (Smith, Allen, Swearingen)

What are the requirements to live off campus (can I live off campus)?

All students are required to live on campus unless they meet one of five categories to qualify for non-resident status:

  • Students who reside with parents or guardians and live within a 60-mile radius of the campus.
  • Students who are 23 years of age on the first day of semester classes.
  • Students who are married or have children.
  • Students who are fifth-year seniors and have 90 credit hours.
  • Students receiving a lottery spot

A limited number of seniors are allowed to live off campus. Students interested in this must have completed 90 hours by the end of the previous semester and not be affiliated with a Greek organization on campus.

Can I bring a pet?

Pets have the potential to challenge the safety and physical condition of the campus and residence halls. Pets other than fish in 10-gallon (or less) aquariums are not allowed in the residence halls at any time. Visiting animals must be kept outside and leashed. Pets are a problem inside a residence hall because of sanitation, pest control, allergies and noise.

How are roommates assigned?

For new students there is a roommate matching process designed to match roommates based on certain criteria; such as smoking preference, early morning person, night person, quiet study environment, music/tv study environment, messy or clean room, etc.

Returning students may request a roommate and participate in the Room Draw process.

How are room assignments determined?

Room assignments are made to correlate with the roommate matching process. Students will be housed in order of receiving their acceptance to William Woods University. Returning students will participate in Room Draw.

What is Room Draw?

Room draw is a process of choosing a room and/or building for returning students.


The Homesteading process is the first stage in the independent hall portion of Room Draw. Students wishing to retain their room may sign up for their current room.

  • Not all rooms are available for Homesteading.
  • Student Identification/Class Schedule Requirement: Students must come with their student ID and their fall class schedule before they will be allowed to sign up for any room.
  • Students must sign up in pairs. Homesteading Options include:
  • Both roommates wish to return to the same room and live together.
  • Only one roommate wishes to return to your room. The resident must then pull another resident into their room. The student may be from any part of campus.
  • If both residents of a room wish to return to a room, but do not wish to live together, the residents must decide who will stay. If an agreement cannot be reached, the room will be awarded to the resident with the higher number of academic credits.

In Hall Day

During Phase 2 of Room Draw, current residents of the independent residence halls may sign up for a different room within their respective buildings. All areas within your respective residence hall that have not been retained by current residents or by the Office of Residential Life are available with the exception of those areas listed on the front of this sheet.

  • Smith/Allen/Swearingen Complex: These three buildings will be treated separately (i.e. an Allen resident would not be able to sign up in Swearingen).
  • Student Identification/Class Schedule Requirement: Students must come with their student ID and their fall class schedule before they will be allowed to sign up for any room.
  • Can’t Attend In-Hall Day? Come to the Office of Residential Life and request a Student Proxy form. Fill it out and give it, along with your student ID, to someone who can stand in as your representative.
  • Students must sign up in pairs. When a current resident chooses a roommate, the roommate does not have to be a current resident of the respective hall. If you are interested in a single room, see the “Single Room Request” section below.
  • In-Hall Day order of students:
    • Rising Seniors (Will have 90+ Credits)
    • Rising Juniors (Will have 60+ Credits)
    • Rising Sophomores (Will have 30+ Credits)
    • Any Remaining Students

All Building Day

Any independent student without a room assignment may sign-up for any remaining rooms in the R.B Cutlip, Bartley, Jones, Serena, or the SAS Complex.

  • Unless any designated singles are still available, students must sign up in pairs. Students not signing up in pairs will not be assigned spaces during Room Draw. These students will be assigned spaces by Residential Life staff following Room Draw and will have the lowest priority in attaining single spaces.
  • Student Identification/Class Schedule Requirement: Students must come with their student ID and their fall class schedule before will be allowed to sign up for any room.
  • Can’t Attend All-Building Day? Come to the Office of Residential Life and request a Student Proxy form. Fill it out and give it, along with your Student ID, to someone who can stand in as your representative.
  • All Building Day order of students:
    • Rising Seniors (Will have 90+ Credits)
    • Rising Juniors (Will have 60+ Credits)
    • Rising Sophomores (Will have 30+ Credits)
    • Any Remaining Students

What can I do about a conflict with my roommate?

First speak with your roommate and identify the issues that you are concerned about. Then, identify some options that can resolve your conflict. If you need someone to mediate your conversations ask your CA. If none of these steps have worked you and your CA can contact the Office of Residential Life.

How do I request a roommate?

You will need to contact the Office of Residential Life at 573-592-1682 or 573-592-1762.

What if I want to change rooms?

If you wish to move rooms you must contact a Residential Life staff member such as your CA or someone in the Office of Residential Life. The request will be documented and will be accommodated as soon as a room is open. There is also Room Draw that happens towards the end of the spring semester.

How do I apply for a single room?

Singles are not guaranteed but can be applied for by filling out a Single Request form and turning it into the Office of Residential Life. Subsequently, you will be placed on a waiting list and singles will be drawn from the list when they become available.

Where can I go to study?

Many students will study in the residence halls rather than go to the library. Therefore, there are quiet and courtesy hours in place in every hall to maintain an academic environment. Even outside these hours residents are expected to be considerate in regards to their hallmates.

What is temporary housing?

Temporary housing is used during new student orientation week. New students are placed in temporary housing in the residence halls when they arrive. Once Greek rush is complete, students will be moved to permanent housing on campus. Room consolidation will also take place. While in temporary housing, residents do not want to completely unpack as they may be asked to move to a different room or building.