$15,000 Grant Awarded for WWU Wireless
|9/16/2010||Mary Ann Beahon|
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||(573) 592-1127|
College students today can be described as tech-savvy. The Center for Applied Research (ECAR) has found that nearly every college student in the U.S. owns both a computer and a phone; 36 percent of students own twocomputers.
According to the survey of 30,616 freshmen and seniors at 103 four-year institutions, more than 98 percent of college students use computers, with laptops gaining in popularity. In addition, 63 percent reported they either owned or planned to purchase an Internet-capable handheld device.
“Interactive communication tools, such as instant messaging, text messaging and social networking sites, are shaping how college students connect to the world and each other,” the most recent ECAR report said.
To help William Woods University students keep up with the latest technology, the Charles and JoAnne (Dalrymple) McIlwaine Foundation has awarded a $15,000 grant to WWU to fund wireless improvements on campus.
JoAnne Lee Dalrymple graduated with an associate of arts degree from William Woods in 1962. During her college days, she was active in the International Relations Committee, the YWCA and Woods Echoes yearbook. She went on to a career with TWA and later the Coleman Charitable Trust, Inc. and the Coleman Company.
During her professional lifetime, Mrs. McIlwaine was a supporter of her alma mater with annual fund gifts and matching gifts from the Coleman Charitable Trust. Charles McIlwaine was a donor to WWU after Mrs. McIlwaine’s passing, lending support to the university in her memory.
According to Michael Bland, director of information technology at William Woods, the improvements included installation of wireless services to Smith, Allen and Swearingen residence halls, as well as to all of Greek housing.
In addition, the Network Access Control software was upgraded to allow easier logon to the wireless network, while providing a more secure connection. Wireless service was also added to Dulany Auditorium and the adjacent green room, and was improved in the Academic Building.