WWU Students Win Big at DEX State Competition
|3/3/2008||Mary Ann Beahon|
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||(573) 592-1127|
DEX is an international organization for college students preparing for careers in marketing, merchandising or management. WWU’s DEX is sponsored by Linda Duke, instructor of marketing and business.
In addition to the five first place awards, the 13 WWU students who participated in the competition Feb. 21-22 earned second in four events and third in one.
WWU also won the trivia competition by more than 40 points. They received $400 toward international fees. Each William Woods University student who participated is qualified to compete at the International Career Development Conference in Atlanta, Ga., April 12-15.
The WWU students placed as followed:
• Rebecca Cooper of Red Bud, Ill., first in financial services and in travel and tourism
• Theresa Gregar of Louisburg, Kan., and Kayla Ahrens of Martinsburg, Mo., first in international marketing
• Michelle Baker of Hatfield, Ark.; LeeAnn Beard of Hannibal, Mo., and Kelsey Allen of Farber, Mo., first in advertising
• Tori Luisi of Carrollton, Texas, first in fashion marketing and second in retail management
• Steve Brocks of Portsmouth, UK, and Adam Reed of Columbia, Mo., second in sports and entertainment marketing
• Gabe George of Salisbury, Mo., and Clayton Thompson of Vandalia, Mo., second in entrepreneurship
• Marissa Parenti of Hooksett, N.H., and Cheryl Perkins of Fulton, Mo., second in advertising
• Kelsey Allen, third in human resource management
Other schools involved in the competition included Columbia College, Lincoln University, Missouri Southern State University, Moberly Area Community College, North Central Missouri College, Saint Louis University, Southeast Missouri State University, Three Rivers Community College and the University of Missouri-Columbia.
The state competition was a two-day event held at the Lodge of the Four Seasons in Missouri’s Lake of the Ozarks. The two days include testing, role play, prepared presentations, competitive games for chapter money (trivia), a guest speaker, luncheon and an awards ceremony.