Page 7 - issue_1

This is a SEO version of issue_1. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
By Andrea Weed, staff writer
Up in fames in less than two minutes—that’s what happened to a mock
dorm room Sept. 21—all in the name of keeping William Woods University
students safe.
The Fulton Fire Department (FFD) conducted the mock burn of a typical
residence hall room at the fre station just off campus. Todd Grey, frefghter,
shared useful facts, statistics, safety precautions and procedures with William
Woods students before the room was torched.
Students had been anticipating the event for several days, knowing how
important it would be to their safety on campus.
Liza Payne, senior, said she looked forward to the mock burn because, “I think
this is an incredibly informative LEAD event.”
James Strobel, a freshman, reinforced the idea behind the event, stating,
“This teaches us good fre safety and shows us why it is so important to follow
fre safety procedures.”
“We wanted to do this to show people what a fre is really capable of doing
because we want [students] to be safe,” said Tyler Ginnever, FFD frefghter.
“In a way it helps both of us (frefghters and students) because it reminds us
about important safety precautions. We want to get back to our families safely
just like you students do.”
With donations from Sutherlands, frefghters constructed a mock dorm
room, which included everything from typical dorm room furniture to posters,
articles of clothing and notebooks.
Starting with a candle falling into a trashcan, the room was completely
engulfed in fames within two minutes. After about three minutes, frefghters
extinguished the fre.
“I had no idea it could take only a few minutes to completely burn a room,”
said Rachel Sennett, a senior.
Learning about fre safety and then seeing the potential risk of breaking fre
safety procedure evoked some different emotions from students.
T.J. Green, a freshman, said after the event, “I think it is an important event
to see and it puts things in perspective.”
Paige Groves, a sophomore, learned a lot from the event, “After seeing how
fast the room burned down, I’m going to be very cautious about not having
any fre hazards in my room.”