Professor Emeritus, Biology
Areas of Expertise:
- Biological Science - Ph.D. in Cell Biology and Physiology
- Psychoimmunology, Grief and Bereavement- Dissertation Area of Research
- Vector-borne diseases
- Ph.D., University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan. - Physiology and Cell Biology (Neurophysiology)
- M.Phil., University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan. - Physiology and Cell Biology
- M.S., St. Mary's College, Winona, Minn. - Biology
- B.A., St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minn. - Biology and English
- Faculty member, William Woods University, 1992 to present
- Lecturer, full-time, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA 1990-1991.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology, College of arts & Sciences, and Clinical Ass't Professor of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1987-1990
- Instructor, Geriatrics, Alcoholism, and Family Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1983-1987
- American Society for Microbiology
- Phi Beta Kappa
- AAAS Invitational Workgroup: "Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education", Washington, D.C., July 2009
- Editor, "Microbes in the Environment" and "Microbial Evolution and Diversity" sections of Visual Resources Division of MicrobeLibrary, 2007-present
- Genomics Education Partnership, 2007-present
Honors and/or awards:
- Cox Distinguished Professor in Science, William Woods University, 2008-
- Missouri Professor of the Year, 2008
- National Science Foundation grant, 2001-2005
- American Society for Engineering Education Faculty Research Fellowship, 2001
- National Science Foundation grant 1994-1997.
- Govenor's Excellence in Teaching Award, 1995
- Kresge Foundation Award 1999
- Faculty Marshal :1996-present
- Candlin Award University of Kansas, 1988.
- "Francisella tularensis identified by Polymerase Chain Reaction in Missouri Ticks"
- "Various Ehrlichia species found in several Missouri tick species"
- "Immune Variables, Depression and Plasma Cortisol over Time in Suddenly Bereaved Parents"
- "A Psychoimmunologic Study of Bereaved Parents"
- "Rags to Riches--Implementing a modern biology curriculum with a little help from our [NSF} friends"
- D. Lopatto, C. Alvarez, D. Barnard, C. Chandrasekaran, H.-M. Chung, C. Du, T. Eckdahl, A. L. Goodman, C. Hauser, C. J. Jones, O. R. Kopp, G. A. Kuleck, G. McNeil, R. Morris, J. L. Myka, A. Nagengast, P. J. Overvoorde, J. L. Poet, K. Reed, G. Regisford, D. Revie, A. Rosenwald, K. Saville, M. Shaw, G. R. Skuse, C. Smith, M. Smith, M. Spratt, J. Stamm, J. S. Thompson, B. A. Wilson, C. Witkowski, J. Youngblom, W. Leung, C. D. Shaffer, J. Buhler, E. Mardis, S. C. R. Elgin. Education Forum: UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH: â€œGenomics Education Partnershipâ€. Science 31 October 2008: Vol. 322. no. 5902, pp. 684 â€ 685.
- Mary Spratt, Gary Kuleck, David Lopatto, Stuart Ketcham, Wilson Leung, Chris Shaffer, Sarah CR Elgin. â€œThe Genomics Education Partnershipâ€. Poster Category 4: Student Research Introduced as an Integral Part of Traditional Courses and Introduction of Technologies New to Biology. Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology, AAAS, July 15-17, 2009. (Abstract)
- Spratt, Mary. â€œDigital Photographs of Life Stages of Amblyomma americanum, the Lone Star Tick, a Vector of Human and Veterinary Rickettsial Diseasesâ€ Visual Resources of MicrobeLibrary, of the American Society for Microbiology, June, 2007.
- A. J. Candee, J.K. Lee and M. L. Spratt. â€œPrevalence of Ehrlichia chaffeensis in Various Tick Species as collected from Public Areas in Missouriâ€ Abstracts: 105th General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology, June 5-9, 2005. Atlanta, Ga. (Abstract)
- J. K. Lee, A. J. Candee and M. L. Spratt. â€œAssessment of Infection by Ehrlichia chaffeensis in Ticks in Missouriâ€. Proceedings of the Missouri Academy of Science, 2005. (Abstract)
- Mary L. Spratt, Hong Ge, Chien-Chung Chao, and Wei-Mei Ching. â€œCloning and Expression of the 22 kDa Protein Fragment of Orienta tsutsugamushi and its Immunoreactivityâ€. Annual Meeting, American Association for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New Orleans, 2002. (Abstract)
- ML Spratt, JA Huerta and GA McDonald, â€œEhrlichia Species Identified in Missouri Ticksâ€. General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology, Los Angeles, 2000. (Abstract)
- ML Spratt, RE Palow, TL Cyr, and GA McDonald, â€œFrancisella tularensis and Ehrlichia spp. Identified by PCR in Missouri Ticks.â€General Meeting, American Society for Microbiology. Chicago, 1999. (Abstract)
- Spratt ML and Denney DR. "Immune Variables, Depression and Plasma Cortisol over Time in Suddenly Bereaved Parents", Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 1991; 3: 299-306.
- Spratt ML, Denney DR, and Quadagno DM. 1989. "A Psychoimmunologic Study of Bereaved Parents", American Psychiatric Assoc. Annual Meeting, San Francisco Continuing Medical Education Syllabus and Proceedings in Summary Form, (Abstract).
- Her current research interest is in the field of vector-borne diseases, particularly the study of the emerging ehrlichial and rickettsial diseases as carried by ticks in Missouri.