Areas of Expertise:
- Commercial art
- Illustration and Painting
- Nature Subjects Painting
Terry Martin has taught at William Woods University since 1988. He was a graduate student, teaching assistant, and instructor and gallery assistant for the University of Missouri-Columbia. Before he became an art professor, Terry was a public school art teacher (grades 7-12), art director, illustrator, commercial artist, designer and volunteer in various art therapy settings. He advocates for organization such as Capital Arts that have the potential to bring people together, and celebrate creativity differences among individuals in a non-judgmental society. Terry believes that when people recognize individual creative difference, other differences that are often surface differences, may not matter so much. When we celebrate creative worth and contribution to society we all are more united and respectful as a community.
- Master's in Fine Arts, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1993
- Master's in Education, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1976
- B.S., Education, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1974
- Faculty member, William Woods University, 1990-
- His illustrations appear in the popular "Fly Fishing For Trout in Missouri"
- Numerous commercial designs
- Murals: Cheseborough Ponds Jefferson City, City Council Chamber, Jefferson City, Mo.
- Large paintings for Fulton Building, William Woods Kemper Art Center, YUM Brands Foods, Louisville, Ky.
- Volunteer effort to donate a contemporary version of the Last Supper for Pleasant Hill Free Methodist Church near Portland, Mo.
- Early participant in the Plein Air traveling painters: Artists Along the Katy Trail
- International Society of Experimental Artists (signature member)
- National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society (signature member)
- Best of Missouri Hands (signature member)
- Missouri Watercolor Society and the International Society of Experimental Artists
- Missouri Society of Wildlife Artists - first president of the organization
- Mid America Pastel Society member
- Past board member of the St. Louis Artists Guild and the Columbia Art League
Honors and/or awards:
- Louis D. Beaumont Dad's Association Distinguished Professor Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Governor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2002
- His watercolor of a trout was selected for use as the first competitive Missouri Trout Stamp