Assistant Professor, Biology
Areas of Expertise:
- Ph.D. in the Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2010
- Bachelor of Science degree in biology, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va., 2005
- Fellow in a National Institutes of Health-funded IRACDA program at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), Richmond, Va.
- Taught biology and biochemistry at VCU and chemistry at Elizabeth City State University, as part of the fellowship
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Council on Undergraduate Research
- Missouri Academy of Science
Honors and/or awards:
- Participant fellow in the National Science Foundation-funded Faculty Institutes for Reforming Science Teaching (FIRST-IV)
- 2013- Clark Cox Endowed Chair in Science
- 2011-2013 AAAS/Science Program for Excellence Science
- 2010-2012 IRACDA Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2008-2009 Jack Denning Burke Award for Excellence in Cell Biology Research
- 2007 A.D. Williams Fellowship
- Has published and continues scientific research in two areas: mast cell biology (crucial players in allergy and asthma),
and cancers of the central nervous system;
- Most recently his activities have included education research related to undergraduate science education
- Pullen NA, Barnstein BO, Falanga YT, Wang Z, Suzuki R, Lama Tamang TD, Khurana MC, Harry EA, Rivera J, Draber P, Bunting KD, Mizuno K, Wilson BS and Ryan JJ. Novel mechanism for FceRI-mediated STAT5 tyrosine phosphorylation and the selective influence of STAT5B over mast cell cytokine production. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 2012; 287(3) 2045-2054.
- Pullen NA, Falanga YT, Morales JK, and Ryan JJ. The Fyn-STAT5 pathway: a new frontier in IgE and IgG-mediated mast cell signaling. Frontiers in Inflammation 2012; 3: 117.
- Pullen NA, Anand M, Cooper PS and Fillmore HL. Matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression enhances tumorigenicity as well as tumor-related angiogenesis and is inversely associated with TIMP-4 expression in a model of glioblastoma. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 2012; 106(3) 461-471.
- Pullen NA, Barnstein BO, Lama Tamang TD, Falanga YT, and Ryan JJ (2012). STAT5 activity downstream of IgE and IgG receptors. Journal of Immunology 188:177.8 (Abstr).
- Garg K, Pullen NA, Oskeritzian CA, Ryan JJ and Bowlin GL. Macrophage functional polarization (M1/M2) in response to varying fiber and pore dimensions of electrospun scaffolds. Biomaterials 2013; 34(18):4439-51.
- Signal transduction events during allergy and cancer
- Matrix metalloproteinase function
- Undergraduate science education