An independent study course is designed to offer degree-seeking juniors and seniors who have at least a 3.00 grade point average additional learning opportunities. It is a customized course designed by the student in consultation with the advisor and instructor and is offered for subjects or activities not included in the current William Woods University catalog.
The following policies apply:
- The independent study must be developed in the student's academic major or minor.
- Students must register for independent study courses during regular registration and must complete the course by the last day of classes that semester.
- Independent studies are not available to students in Graduate College who are participating in the degree completion programs.
- A student is allowed to take no more than 6 credit hours of independent study.
- The student will develop a plan of study listing instructional objectives; an outline of the proposed subject for study; an outline of major projects, activities, and assignments including a reference to deadlines; a proposed schedule for meeting with the professors; and a description of the basis for evaluation.
- Independent studies are subject to the usual tuition charges and to an additional per credit hour fee.
- Request for independent studies must be processed on official forms available at the Registrar's Office and must be approved by the Academic Dean.
These policies apply to the Semester Program/On Campus students only. Graduate College Students will need to consult the Graduate College Regulations.